[Moims-dai] FW: [EXTERNAL] CCSDS policy on software

david at giaretta.org david at giaretta.org
Tue Oct 12 16:05:02 UTC 2021

FYI

From: Shames, Peter M (US 312B) <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Sent: 07 October 2021 18:39
To: david at giaretta.org; Mario Merri <Mario.Merri at esa.int>; Thomas Gannett <thomas.gannett at tgannett.net>; Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) <erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov>; Holger Dreihahn <holger.dreihahn at esa.int>
Cc: 'John Garrett' <garrett at his.com>; Hughes, J S (US 398B) <john.s.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov>; Mike Kearney <kearneysolutions at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] CCSDS policy on software

Hi David,

I know that the CSS guys (and possibly others) are using, or have wanted to use, Github to manage some of their models, support software, and other artifacts.   There is a desire to add some sort of CCSDS sponsored server, but for now I think they are using  ESA or NASA paid services.  Let’s start a thread on that with Erik and Holger in the loop, I added them here.  IMHO it is worthy of further discussion.

As for publishing a Java code API as part of a Blue Book, that’s not the way this works.  If you want to publish a protocol interface spec, one that defines actual PDUs, info models, and behavior, and peer to peer interactions in some unambiguous form, then that would fit into a CCSDS Blue Book as these are defined.   You can look at the Nav standards or at the CSS SM standards for XML data format examples.  You can look at the CSS Area SLE and CSTS specs for protocol and PDU examples, or at any of the link layer specs.  I would not recommend the MOIMS SM&C specs because they are far too complicated, layered, and abstract.  Something simpler, that directly leverages HTTP/REST, would be my recommendation.

CCSDS does publish some API standards, but these are defined to be Magenta Books.  The CSS/SLE set of specs includes some of these.  These are classed as MB, rather than BB, because they really only offer portability of software and do not guarantee interoperability in the general case.  Unless, of course, you offer a software package on all of the possible OS platforms and EVERYONE uses that package.  I classify that as “conditional interoperability” since it only really works if everyone uses the same software package.  Contrast that with a proper protocol spec where it does not matter what OS, or language, is used to do the implementation, the interoperability comes from strict compliance of all implementations with an unambiguous spec.  All of the Internet works this way and all of the formal CCSDS protocol specs do too.

I hope this clarifies these concerns.  Happy to discuss further.

Cheers, Peter