[Moims-dai] FW: [EXTERNAL] Re: Component Diagram and Updated Book

Hughes, John S (US 398B) john.s.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 13 14:45:39 UTC 2020

From: Mark Conrad <conradsireland at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 4:07 PM
To: MOIMS-Data Archive Interoperability <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org>
Cc: Hughes, John S (US 398B) <john.s.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Moims-dai] Component Diagram and Updated Book

Attached is the updated book with my comments.  A few general comments:

1. The OAIS-IF relies on many of the Functional Entities in the OAIS RM. These Functional Entities are informative - not normative. It may be difficult to interoperate with an OAIS Archive that has not implemented all of the Functional Entities anticipated by the OAIS-IF.

2. The Information Model in the OAIS RM is normative. If a Non-OAIS archive is to interoperate with an OAIS Archive it will have to be through the exchange of SIPs and DIPs.

3. The Component Diagram shows an arrow going from an Information Package in the Consumer Application Layer to the (Archival) Object Store in the OAIS Archive. It appears that the arrow should be going in the opposite direction and that the Information Package in the Consumer Application Layer should be a DIP.

4. There are many elements in the updated book that are not part of the OAIS RM. I believe it will be important to make this explicit throughout the document. I have marked some of them.text

5. Some places in the text it appears that the OAIS-IF is for OAIS-to-OAIS interoperability. In other places it appears that the OAIS-IF is for interoperability between OAIS Archives and Non-OAIS Archives. The text needs to be clarified to make it clear what is intended.

See my other comments throughout the text.

Mark