[Moims-dai] OAIS-IF - outline tables of contents

david at giaretta.org david at giaretta.org
Thu Dec 31 09:11:06 UTC 2020

After various discussions and private emails I propose the following
documents and outline tables of contents for OAIS-IF

1         Document Tables of Contents

1.1         OAIS Rationale, Scenarios, and Requirements GREEN

*	An overview of the architecture, what problems we believe the set of
standards is to address, what it will cover and what it will not cover (we
had lots of discussion of that) and how it relates to OAIS and the other DAI
(and other) standards
*	What people/systems will be able to do which they cannot do now
*	Some simple use cases to illustrate what we are addressing
*	Make it clear that we solve the central problem of how to deal with
"bags of bits" in a general way applicable throughout the architecture
*	An indication of what producers, consumers and archives will need to
change to benefit from these standards.

1.2         Architecture Description Document (ADD) MAGENTA

*	An overview of how we think things will actually fit together e.g.
Steve's overall diagram plus some of the other UML diagrams (Class,
Sequence, Component etc) which show different parts of the system in more
detail

1.3         Archive Abstraction Layer (AAL) BLUE

*	The directly OAIS related Information Model interfaces, adding in
methods and additional interfaces such as Identifiers etc
*	The OAIS Unique Selling Points of understandability

*	Negotiation interface and
*	a minimal interface for e Registry

*	How we pass information between components e.g. Packaged Information
*	Some specific interfaces for Representation Information, Provenance,
Fixity, Access Rights, Reference (which may link to Identifiers) if we
actually want interoperability. With modern programming languages we do not
need to say that these are the only possible interfaces for these specific
types of Information, but we recommend these.

1.4         Adapters MAGENTA

*	What Archives need to have in order to interact - how to get from
what the archives can provide to what the AAL demands
*	Simple examples of these
*	What Consumers need to have in order to be able to interact. This
could be how to deal with encoded information in general terms plus some
specific examples such as images, tables and trees

1.5         OAIS-IF Java binding

*	How to implement the AAL in Java (should be fairly straightforward)

1.6         OAIS-IF XXX binding

*	How to implement the AAL in language XXX (difficulty depends on the
language)

1.7         OAIS-IF Communication Protocol binding

*	How to use existing communication protocols, including CCSDS,
TCP/IP, SPRING, etc

1.8         PAIP BLUE

*	SIPs and how to transfer them using

*	PAIS
*	OAIS-IF documents above

*	Notes on "out of band" communications to make arrangements

1.9         CAIS/CAIP BLUE

*	Queries - Use variety of existing standards
*	DIPs