[Moims-dai] Reminder of Skype call tomorrow

garrett at his.com garrett at his.com
Thu May 30 21:55:16 UTC 2019

Hi,

Yes, I agreed at the telecon that a change was made that said this about Representation Information (also over my objections).  I still contend that saying that about Representation Information does not mean that the same thing applies to other Information Objects like Descriptive Information.

However, I’m withdrawing my objection to saying that Descriptive Information is an Information Object.

I would prefer that not be the case, but it has been that way since the first OAIS version.

The same applies to Packaging Information.

Again I would prefer it not be an Information Object, but it has been noted as such since the first OAIS version.

However, should Overview Descriptions and Collection Descriptions also be Information Objects?

And if all these things are Information Objects, should we then have ISO 16363 metrics that require that archives show us the Representation Information that accompanies Descriptive Information and Packaging Information?

I think not.  We can probably continue to look at ISO 16363 as requirements for a TDR and meets the conformance requirements of OAIS section 2.2 Information Model (but not necessarily the OAIS section 4 Information Model)

Actually it is occurring to me now that the newly added paragraph about the simple statement for Representation Information is probably not correct, because Representation Information requires that you have Semantic Information and Syntatic Information along with optional Other Representation Information.  I guess you could consider the statement to mean that Semantics and Syntax are known by DC.  I still don’t like encouraging this behavior.

I had a few other comments coming on other proposed updates that I’ll also send before next weeks call.

Peace and joy,

-JOhn