[Moims-dai] [EXTERNAL] Re: Architecture Description

Hughes, John S (398B) john.s.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 13 17:09:40 UTC 2019

Hi all,

This is the discussion I remember.  Here is a use case.

In the PDS4 Information Model we have the following hierarchy.

1.       Bundle – A Bundle contains one or more Collections (E.g., a Bundle is typically a package containing a data product collection for a single instrument together with one or more collections of information necessary for using the data. ) The PDS4 bundle is effectively an OAIS Information_Package.

2.       Collection -> A Collection contains one or more Data Products of a single type  (e.g., all the raw images from the Viking Orbiter 1 and 2 cameras)

3.       Data Products -> A Data Product containing data from a scientific observation. (e.g., one raw image from the Viking mission)  The Raw image and its PDS4 label is effectively an OAIS Information_Object.

Viewing PDS4 as an OAIS, if a user finds and requests a Viking Image from the PDS they will typically receive an Information Object, i.e., the raw image (Data Object) and its Representation_Information. If the user then requests the Fixity Information for the raw image, under the OAIS-IF, how should system get the Data_Object’s Fixity_Information?

According to the OAIS-IF Information Model the Fixity_Information is associated with the Preservation_Description_Information and the Preservation_Description_Information is associated with an Information_Package. This suggest that given the Viking Image Information_Object, the system will navigate through the Collection to the Bundle (an Information_Package), get the Preservation_Description_Information, get the  Fixity_Information, and then locate and return the Fixity_Information specific to the Viking Image Information_Object.

Another view is that the system knows that the Viking Image Information_Object is Content_Information and directly gets the associated Fixity_Information.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve