[Moims-dai] Response to rejection of SC234

John Garrett garrett at his.com
Tue Sep 11 04:58:48 UTC 2018

Comments below.

From: MOIMS-DAI [mailto:moims-dai-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org] On Behalf Of Mark Conrad
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 12:10 PM
To: MOIMS-Data Archive Interoperability <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org>
Cc: David Giaretta <david at giaretta.info>
Subject: Re: [Moims-dai] Response to rejection of SC234

" All the components of the AIP would now be focused on the CDO which in my view is the thing that we really want to focus most on preserving."

Representation Information is defined as:  The information that maps a Data Object into more meaningful concepts so that the Data Object may be understood in ways exemplified by Preservation Objectives.

Without the Representation Information the CDO will become meaningless over time. I believe that the previous versions of OAIS which made the Content Information the original target of preservation are correct.

JGG:  I agree that RepInfo is important for preservation.  It is still required to be part of the AIP.  In most cases I don’t think there is any real reason to maintain the RepInfo if the CDO is lost/corrupted.  I do think that in many cases you would still want to keep the CDO if the RepInfo were lost/corrupted.  Occasionally/often RepInfo can be recreated if it is lost/corrupted (or discovered if it did not exist, for example uncovering meaning of Rosetta Stone).  Rarely can CDO be recreated.  Of course your mileage may differ.

" But these other things are not the primary focus of long-term preservation for this OAIS."

Representation Information has to be part of the primary focus of long-term preservation. Without it, the CDO will become meaningless in the medium to long term. The best time to gather the initial version of the RepInfo - as we have discussed frequently - is at or near the time of creation of the CDO.

JGG: I totally agree with the need for RepInfo and it is still required for the AIP.

"Any archive that was OAIS compatible before will remain OAIS compatible.  I.e. if you had fixity/provenance/… on Content Info (CDO+RepInfo) then you have sufficient  fixit/provenance/… on the CDO. "

This misses the point. You cannot have long term preservation without RepInfo being part of the original target of preservation.

JGG: I agree that RepInfo is needed in the AIP for long-term preservation.  I don’t agree that PDI is always needed for the RepInfo.  I don’t agree that RepInfo is the usually the focus of long-term preservation in the same sense that the original data in the CDO is the focus of long-term preservation.  I also believe that the CDO is originally created.  Hopefully RepInfo is concurrently created, but in reality often is not and if not, hopefully it will be added as soon as possible.  But in many cases, RepInfo is “less original”/later in the timeline than creation of the CDO.

What is the harm of keeping Content Information as the original target of preservation? I see a number of harms in making just the CDO the original target of preservation. Unless there are compelling reasons to change the original target of preservation - one of the core principles of OAIS - I don't believe it should be changed.

JGG:  Certainly we can keep Content Information as original target of creation.  OAIS has it defined that way for last 15 years. Although I  think most OAIS users have misunderstood the distinction.  But I think the change is more correct.

Actually something just occurred to me.  There is also a middle option.  The changes to make PDI applicable to CDO could still be made while maintaining the definition of Content Info (CDO + RepInfo) as the original target of preservation.  Anyone have  thoughts on that?

My two cents.

Mark