[Moims-dai] Desirable preservation ecosystem characteristics

Mark Conrad mark.conrad at nara.gov
Wed Jul 11 19:50:19 UTC 2018

"One example: many organisations are still struggling with the surprises
they get when migrating file formats, why can’t we have tools that
understands the peculiarities of the file formats and can deal with that. "

To add a little detail to this example, here are a few specific issues
related to file format migrations:

Many formats are proprietary so we are not allowed to see the inner
workings of files created in such a format.

"Open" standards for file formats often allow "extensions" that can lead to
surprises when you migrate files written to the standard (e.g., TIFF 6
files with local extensions).

Many formats are actually containers that can include bit streams in
multiple formats (e.g., Word files, PDF and PDF/A files).

Some "formats" (e.g., ESRI shape files) actually require data to be stored
in multiple files in different formats to create a single "file."

Existing tools can only accurately* identify *(i.e., by something other
than file name extension) a very small percentage of the tens of thousands
of formats currently in use.

Existing tools can only *validate* (i.e., determine if a file is
well-formed according to the specification allegedly used to create the
file) an even smaller percentage of the formats currently in use.

This is not an exhaustive list.

Mark Conrad
NARA Information Services
Systems Engineering Division (IT)
The National Archives and Records Administration
Erma Ora Byrd Conference and Learning Center
Building 494, Room 225
610 State Route 956
Rocket Center, WV  26726

Phone: 304-726-7820