[Moims-dai] Desirable preservation ecosystem characteristics

Mike Kearney kearneysolutions at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:36:10 UTC 2018

Vint Cerf is a preservation evangelist, and in discussions and presentations
he makes, he's considering adding this topic:  Desirable preservation
ecosystem characteristics.  The idea is that if we know what we want the
preservation environment to be 50 or 100 years from now, we will have be
better equipped to chart a course (at least the first steps) to get there.
Vint asked me my opinion on that, and I'm asking the DAI WG community.

I'm doing this off the top of my head right now, so here goes my first cut
at it:

Trustworthiness of archives:

*         A majority of archives that are certified trustworthy.

*         Broad community agreement on what constitutes trustworthiness and
the process for certifying it.

*         Global prioritization of the need for certification of key
archives.

Interoperability of archives:

*         Well understood and widely available user interface systems that
function broadly for multi-archive access.

*         Archive-to-Archive communications that are easily and quickly
configured.

*         Distributed archives that allow transparent access to all
preserved data within their distributed "realm."

Access to archives (besides above):

*         (From the RDA) Data sharing without boundaries.  Social and
technical infrastructure that enables open sharing of data.

*         Well-understood and easily-waiverable system of Intellectual
Property management - for example, a system to quickly secure rights to
download YouTube videos by national archivists.

*         Effective archive security that does not interfere with authorized
user access.

Future tech:

*         Storage capacity:  A better, faster, cheaper More's Law.

*         AI Access to preservation archives; AI helpers that can assist
archive users whether they are part of the Designated Community or not.

*         Auto-preservation.  Systems that automatically compile the
*correct* metadata (Representation Info) as object data is generated.

*         AI systems that can generate warnings like "Uh oh. you're not
compiling the correct metadata!"

What's on your list?

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney