[Moims-dai] Response to rejection of SC234

Bruce Ambacher bambacher at verizon.net
Mon Aug 27 14:16:52 UTC 2018

David,
I do not accept your view that Provenance is a data object coupled with Representation Information.  Provenance is the accumulated knowledge, possibly codified in Representation Information, that provides the reasons for a data object's existence, who created it, who has been responsible for its longevity, the chain of custody, what preservation actions have been taken prior to its ingest into the long term preservation system, and possibly any special actions taken on the object.

We must remember Provenance is a term  from the cultural heritage world and is especially important in the art world and in cultural heritage collections to verify the authenticity of the object, be it a painting or a collection of personal papers, and to establish its chain of custody from origin to current "ownership."  We certainly can adapt a term and even trim it around the edges to fit OAIS but we must remain true to the origins and meaning of its original use.