[Moims-dai] Suggested text for "Preservation Objectives" concept.

David Giaretta david at giaretta.org
Tue Aug 8 13:54:29 UTC 2017

"Understand" has always been tricky, which is why we included "use".

For example given a digital object which is an encoding of a piece of music,
it should be possible to USE it to play that music by ensuring there is the
appropriate RepInfo e.g. a piece of software.

Understanding the music may be trickier to define.

My hope was that by adding "Preservation Objectives" the Archive could be
clear about what it meant when it claimed to be preserving the object.

Don, I think one has to read whole sentences and put the definitions in
where appropriate rather than just talking about common usage of words.

My aim was to allow an Archive make clear claims about what it is doing, and
allow such claims to be verifiable - which will be important for the ISO
16363 update.

.>David