[Moims-dai] Project/Data/Info lifecycle graphic

Mike Kearney kearneysolutions at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:35:10 UTC 2016

At the last telecon, I took the action to rework my prior version of an
attempt to map the project lifecycle to the data lifecycle, incorporating
the inputs from other members.  See attached.

Major hanges:

Reoriented it top-down since it was longer than a comfortable  page width.

Made two options for the data/info lifecycle column:

1.       David's original phases in the document

2.       Terry's incomplete monograph

Added the red box that indicates the scope of the document formerly known as
"lifecycle"

This originated a few telecons back when I felt that people were talking
past each other concerning the project lifecycle and data lifecycle.  I
thought it would help the discussion to "map" project phases to
data/information phases, regardless of whether it's used in a document or
not.

Someone made the comment that most people outside of the space industry
probably don't know what the standard project phases (pre-A, A, B, C, etc.)
were.  This surprised me, but after doing some research on project
management websites, I have to agree.  Still, since CCSDS is organized and
sponsored by the space agencies, I feel like we should keep that terminology
(though it's now subordinate to the titles, compared to last version).

So, there it is.  Inputs welcome as always, particularly on whether this is
worth maintaining.  We can discuss in the telecon, or simply exchange a few
emails if the telecon agenda is too full.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

Huntsville, Alabama, USA