[Moims-dai] RE: some useful definitions

david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 13:42:03 UTC 2015

Hi Esther and everyone else

I was about to send a reply which made the same point about Frameworks vs Processes - a Framework is something that provides a structure into which more detailed, specific, processes can be fitted.

I agree that a Framework would be what we should aim for initially if we want something that is

1)      Doable in the time available (a couple of years max) - bearing in mind the time that OAIS and ISO 16363 took!

2)      Is widely applicable - bearing in mind that there will be so many details which are different when one moves from one domain to another.
That was the purpose behind the simplified spreadsheet.

The Process model(s) would follow on and may be several separate documents tailored to different domains.
Hence the plan for more detailed spreadsheets

With regard to preservation activities vs other activities - I think it is a useful distinction in that the preservation activities seem to me to be reasonably general at all but the most detailed levels whereas the other activities are, at all but the highest levels, very disparate.  However I agree with Esther that even the simplified spreadsheet does mention many different things - however this is only at a high level and really only in order to provide a context for the preservation activities.

By the way, is there a telecom of any sort today?

Regards

..David