[Moims-dai] RE: Minutes of 2th July ILF telecon

david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 30 16:49:01 UTC 2015

I attach a brief collection of topics and their relationship to digital preservation. I aim to expand this over the weekend.


From: John Garrett [mailto:garrett at his.com]
Sent: 07 July 2015 19:03
To: 'Boucon Daniele' <Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr>; 'MOIMS-Data Archive Ingestion' <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org>
Cc: Giaretta, David (STFC,RAL,RALSP) <david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk>; sawyer at acm.org; Conway, Esther (STFC,RAL,RALSP) <esther.conway at stfc.ac.uk>; tahoe_mike at sbcglobal.net; 'Dave Williams' <Dave.Williams at nasa.gov>; stephane.reecht at bnf.fr; steve.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov; rdowns at ciesin.columbia.edu
Subject: RE: Minutes of 2th July ILF telecon


Action Item list is attached.
I haven't received responses regarding closed Action Items.
I'll try to review some for closure before I send out the Action Item list following this week's telecon.

Live, Laugh, Love, and Work for Peace,

From: Boucon Daniele [mailto:Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr]
Sent: Friday, July 3, 2015 11:51 AM
To: MOIMS-Data Archive Ingestion
Cc: david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk<mailto:david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk>; garrett at his.com<mailto:garrett at his.com>; sawyer at acm.org<mailto:sawyer at acm.org>; esther.conway at stfc.ac.uk<mailto:esther.conway at stfc.ac.uk>; tahoe_mike at sbcglobal.net<mailto:tahoe_mike at sbcglobal.net>; 'Dave Williams'; stephane.reecht at bnf.fr<mailto:stephane.reecht at bnf.fr>; steve.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:steve.hughes at jpl.nasa.gov>; rdowns at ciesin.columbia.edu<mailto:rdowns at ciesin.columbia.edu>
Subject: Minutes of 2th July ILF telecon

Hi all,

Please find below the minutes of yesterday ILF telecon. Feel free to correct or complete.

Next telecons:

1.Thursday 9th July (15h EU time, 9h US time-Washington): dedicated to PAIS
To share screen:


2. Thursday 6th August  (15h EU time, 9h US time-Washington): dedicated to ILF

If available, proposal to use Dave's new number for the sound:
Dave Williams
Telecon information
+1-844-467-6272      USA Toll Free
+1-720-259-6462      Others
Passcode:    841727

Best regards,

2nd July meeting minutes

DB: Daniele Boucon
DG: David Giaretta
DS: Don Sawyer
EC: Esther Conway
JG: John Garrett
MA : Mirko Albani
MM: Mike Martin
RD: Robert Downs
SH : Steve Hughes
SM: Stephane Mbaye
SR: Stephane Reecht
BC: Bertrand Caron
PT: Jean-Philippe Tramoni
WG: all

D=Decision, A=action (other = discussion)

Participants: DB, JG, MM, DG

2.     1 Information Lifecycle Framework (ILF)
MM: one comment received from NSSDC people on the synthetic ILF document: advice to map the topics to the NASA technology plan.

MM: process or framework ? -> bunch of preservation concerns. Lifecycle and identification of USEFUL elements on each of the stages of this lifecycle. Topics or activities?

Example of Data Management Plan DMP:
Topic= DMP
Activity= produce a DMP, and maintain a DMP.

MM: figure 3-1 is a list of activities, but not from his point of view.

=> A=>(MM): propose a list of activities (from his point of view).

DG: need for a document by end of the year. What seems reasonable:
*normative part (core): around 10 pages, dealing with the major topics useful for data usage and exploitation on the long term.
*non normative part (annex): with examples of NASA, ESA.
No need to explain LTDP, make reference to.

Example of major topic:
DMP: producing a DMP, plus main elements constituting a DMP.
In annex: ex from NASA (from document sent by MM).

MM: formulation stage: what does the system design need to include?

Discussion: topics may be performed on different stages, for example format: formulation stage (format choice and recommendation for this choice -should be preservable, or may be converted to preservable, not proprietary ...) and implementation stage (data semantic and syntactic description). ->focus on where the activity is mostly done.

Agreement: focus on the activities related to the usage of the data on the long term. Don't get lost in an exhaustive list (most important elements).

The question is "what is useful for users".

Topic= DMP
Activity= produce a DMP, and maintain a DMP.

Other topics:
Topic= costing
Activity= includes volume, knowledge support, cost model

Topic = risk management?
Identify the link with preservation plan.

  => A=>(DG): propose initial list of topics and what should be included in.

Actions review
Please send to JG updates in actions.
Updated actions will be sent separately by JG.

End of 2nd July meeting minutes

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/moims-dai/attachments/20150730/d855f1cc/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Topics for ILF.docx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Size: 15331 bytes
Desc: Topics for ILF.docx
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/moims-dai/attachments/20150730/d855f1cc/attachment.docx>

More information about the MOIMS-DAI mailing list