[Moims-dai] Re: Proposed edits to the MACAO Blue Book

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 20 21:06:41 UTC 2015

Dear Daniele,

I hope this note finds you well, but I suspect that you will not see it until after your summer holidays are past.  I am writing again in hopes that we can at least reach some understanding about how to proceed on this matter of the SANA organization and person registries.    As you know, the existing MACAO document makes no mention of SANA registries, these were created after the fact as a part of setting up the SANA.  Right now there is not even a mention of the SANA in the MACAO, but we do have these on-line registries.

What I proposed was to fix that dis-connect and also to leverage the MACAO registries so that they could be used for other purposes within CCSDS.  Since they do define organiazations and roles, and persons and their roles, this seems natural.  An alternative, of course, is to not do anything to the MACAO documents or the existing SANA registries for the MACAO and to just create new SANA registries that have all of the necessary properties.  If we were to do that then the pressure on the DAI WG to change the MACAO documents would be removed and you could choose, at your own pace, to either adopt the new SANA registries when you were ready or to continue with the existing ones but fix the MACAO documents so that they were properly referenced.

Right now we have three other WG that really need to make reference to some SANA organization and person registries.  The CSS SM WG, the MOIMS Nav WG, and the SOIS APP WG all need to reference registries for organizations and persons.  They started out to create their own, rather poorly specified, organization registires, but I, as SEA AD, asked them to stop and consider the consequences. That is what lead to this current situation, and right now these documents are being held up for lack of a resolution.  The motivation for me is that the CCSDS as a whole would be much better served by one set of well formed registries than by six or more poorly formed ones.

I think that either of the approaches I just mentioned are workable, but in the interest of setting a direction for the SANA as a whole I would like to understand what your preference is and what you think the DAI WG might wish to do.

Would you please take the time to analyze this situation, discuss it with your team, and provide us with an indication of your preference?  If you could do that within the next two weeks, let’s say by the 4’th of September, that would be ideal.  We will then figure out the work plan.

Best regards, Peter