[Moims-dai] FW: [wg-all] New document published: Data Format Description Language (DFDL) v1.0

Mike Martin tahoe_mike at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 18:29:45 UTC 2014

Hi David

This is very appropriate as Stephane just brought DFDL up in a side
conversation responding to my inquiry on his thoughts about future work
for DAI.  I include his email to me below:

Stephane:  "I believe that data description is of a major interest in
computer science
although it is still not widely used, and not only in the space area. Up
to now the development of "standard" format is considered satisfactory
by a large number of communities but I don't believe it is a good
technical solution, at least because each new "universal" format is yet
another one, which is a bit contradictory with the intent to stop a
proliferation. Worse, if the new universal format is successful and
widely implemented it may stick the community in a bottleneck and avoid
interesting evolution. XML is an example, where the massive success of
the 1.0 denied the jump to the 1.1, however useful.

I am more convinced by systems that would consider any format changes as
a natural. In that area, data description is in interesting step that
makes applications less dependent from the physical characteristics but
more at higher levels e.g. logical, semantic.

I don't know if it is up to the CCSDS to develop the solution but it
should at least identify or sustain developments in that direction. EAST
is probably used by the CNES only, but it may be for reasons different
from the need of data description. Apart political reasons, my feeling
is that the ADA base syntax is a big part of the problem. ADA is so
specific that it is difficult to find a reusable parser/compiler for all
platforms. Users of EAST have to develop their own solution prior to any
use or reuse some "native" components that tie them down to a specific
hardware or OS version.

As you said for DEDSL, before thinking about scrapping EAST or
developing an XML version of EAST, I think it would be interesting for
the CCSDS to make a survey of the current practices and solutions. There
is for example the quite new DFDL from the OpenGrid that could suffice
for space applications."

Back to Mike:  The purpose of my spreadsheet itemizing the usage and
disposition of CCSDS DAI standards was to assess the utility of current
standards.  If these standards are not being adopted outside of the
organizations that created them, then I think we need to ask why, and
what can be done to either improve them or look for new alternatives.  I
agree with Stephane's recommendation that we make a survey of the
current practices and solutions and where they are being used.  What
standards are new curation efforts using in lieu of the CCSDS standards?
  I think this can feed into the recommendations in ICP.

Thanks, Mike