[Intl-associates] Re: [CESG] New SIS BOF: IP over CCSDS Space Links

Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int
Wed Jun 22 16:34:38 EDT 2005

Bob,

It is my conviction that IP will enter the CCSDS world at some point in time.
However, I have a few comments regarding the way to introduce the topic:

   The BOF charter looks at least partly like the (future) WG charter, with
   milestone production of books up to the final BB. The BOF tasks are in
   principle limited to chartering a WG and verifying that proper agency
   support is available.
   You are calling for agency support for the BOF. Quoting a mail from Adrian
   of 16/6:
   Resources for forming and running BOFs thus come out of "overhead" from
   existing groups. Only when a proposed WG charter has been approved by the
   CMC does it go into the Operating Plan, and resources get allocated to the
   work.
   it seems to me that the call for resources is only for the WG work.
   I will submit this proposal to the ESA Engineering Standards Board for a
   decision regarding ESA's support
   I believe that, besides the mere interest of such a technology, an
   assessment of the agencies performance requirements and date of need would
   be useful to support the proposal. As a general consideration, date of
   need for new work would help CCSDS prioritize the work, as resources are
   limited.

Best regards
Jean-Luc Gerner
TEC-ETT
Tel: +31 71 565 4473

                      "Durst,Robert C."
                      <DURST at mitre.org>           To:      sis at mailman.ccsds.org, cesg at mailman.ccsds.org,
                      Sent by:                    secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org, intl-associates at mailman.ccsds.org,
                      cesg-bounces at mailma         us-associates at mailman.ccsds.org
                      n.ccsds.org                 cc:      Greg Kazz <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>
                                                  Subject: [CESG] New SIS BOF:  IP over CCSDS Space Links

                      15/06/2005 16:38

All,

The following Birds-of-a-Feather session has been approved by me to operate
within the Space Internetworking Services Area of CCSDS.  Greg Kazz is
leading this BOF.  Attached is the BOF charter and an initial outline for the
concept paper.

CESG Chair:  Please reflect this BOF charter in the SIS portion of the
Operating Plan.

CCSDS Secretariat:  Please establish a CWE area and mailing list for this BOF
and inform Greg.

All CESG and SIS members:  Please review this BOF for applicability and
determine whether and to what extent your sponsoring agencies might wish to
support this activity.

All CCSDS Associates:  Please review this BOF for interest to your product
development plans.  We encourage vigorous interaction and input from
commercial suppliers.

Many thanks and good luck to all concerned.

Robert C. Durst
Director
Space Internetworking Services
Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems(See attached file:
IP-over-CCSDS-BOF3e_clean.doc)(See attached file: IP_over_CCSDS_concept.doc)