[Css-rasg] RE: RASIG/SM+C Overlap Telecon #1 Notes

Barkley, Erik J (317H) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 4 22:29:10 EDT 2010

Mario,

In principle I tend to agree with your notion of using well recognized industry terms rather than having CCSDS invent equivalent terms. What gives me pause are the practicalities. The general computer industry moves very rapidly as compared to space missions. I think that I would be more comfortable agreeing to recommend that there be a bit of the deliberative process in governance and adoptions of terminology for CCSDS in general. I think the largest area for overlap with regard to industry recognized terminology re CCSDS most likely lies within the service oriented architecture (presumably "SOA" is an industry-standard term with a lot of effort behind it) realm of computing, but here again there is in fact no authoritative resource to point to exact definitions at least that I am aware of.  I can readily uncover many acronyms servers related to computer terms by doing a quick Google search and therefore have no confidence as to the authority of one site versus another.   So, do we say that http://www.soaglossary.com/ is authoritative and CCSDS relies on this?  Or do we prefer the much shorter set of terms found via http://www.soa-in-practice.com/soa-glossary.html   ?  Or perhaps we look to sister standards bodies likeW3C, OMG etc., to help with this?  If so, this would then argue for a bit of a liaison type process as well for maintenance issues etc.

So at the end of the day, my conclusion is that in fact only CCSDS can really say what is authoritative with regard to its terminology. It may be that we borrow rather heavily here and there on some of the "definitions of the day" but we may have to apply a little bit of elbow grease so to speak to capture them as formal CCSDS definitions such that CCSDS books reference a proper glossary, and that we agree on the definition even though it is "well-recognized".  So, again, in principle I agree with you but I'm just a little concerned about the practicalities involved.  Now, an ontology for this might be interesting....:)

As perhaps an interesting related suggestion we could also perhaps consider getting the robotic mission scenarios identified by RASIG as part of the general CCSDS vocabulary. There are indeed I believe multiple cases whereby classifications and profiles of missions would be useful and it would be nice to see this being used with regard to common terminology.

Best regards,

-Erik