[Css-rasg] Viewpoints and views (further follow up on AI #017)

Barkley, Erik J (317H) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 16 20:11:14 EST 2010

Roger,

Thank you very much for the inputs. I have finally had a chance to read through the inputs.  Some comments follow.

I think that we need to consider a bit of formalism with regard to views and viewpoints.  I think really what you have proposed are viewpoints. Let me elaborate a bit by saying that I think we could state that viewpoints are really specifications from which views are then constructed. Taking a look at the draft concept paper, on page 13, there is, in a tabular fashion, an attempt to state what the specification viewpoints are for the various views:

Viewpoint Element

Viewpoint

Enterprise

Functional

Services

Communications

Information

Main concepts

CCSDS Processes & procedures; Policies; Principles;
Org structure (role, responsibility, function); Charters;
Members;
Requirements;
Mission models;

Use cases;
Scenarios;
Ops Concepts;
Functional standards (compression, time  correl & exchange);
Security algorithm;
Various APIs (SLE & others); SOIS MTS (API);

Cross support services (sle, csts); CSS SM;
SM&C (Mission ops svcs, common, core);
Info Arch svcs; SOIS abstract svcs;
SANA;

Protocols (rf, range, code, mod, link, network, file/msg, spp, encap);
Space link idents;
Applic Profiles;
OSCP; SM&C (MAL);

CCSDS doc tree;
CCSDS Glossary;
Info exchange stds (nav, XTCE, DEDSL, time code, PVL, SFDU, SM&C COM);
Reference arch / models (RASDS, SLE, CSSA, this doc);
Operational Processes (SCID assign, CA process, OAIS, PAIMAS);

Stakeholders

Concerns

Modeling Techniques

Analysis Methods

Based on this table, you can see that that the functional viewpoint is essential spec'd (at a conceptual level)  to provide a view encompassing  scenarios, use cases, operational concepts, and more "format oriented" recommendations.

Similarly, the services viewpoint then identifies a view consisting of the "service oriented" recommendations.

So, in general, the proposal to have services identified in the functional view, is, to me, taking a bit too much of "shortcut" by assuming that we are doing a services architecture, when in fact we really need to address the whole of CCSDS with the Reference architecture.

I do agree very much that there needs to be an expression of the services inter-relationship, and although we could spec the services viewpoint to include that in the services view, I think we could  just as well treat this from the information viewpoint.

I look forward to discussing this further at the telecon tomorrow.

Best regards,

-Erik