[Css-rasg] Post Porstmouth meetings update

Barkley, Erik J (317H) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 7 20:41:57 EDT 2010

CCSDS colleagues,

My apologies for the long delay in providing you an update after the Portsmouth meetings last month.  There are a few noteworthy items to report.

*         BOF vs. SIG:  there has long been a bit of confusion as to whether we were operating in a BOF (Birds of a Feather) or  SIG (Special Interest Group) context.  The CCSDS procedures manual has been recently updated and although it is not yet formally released I did note that there now is a formal definition of a SIG.  I believe that it is relatively clear that as we are not yet in the process of chartering a working group per se but rather still trying to sort out how to define a reference architecture for CCSDS and that we are at this time properly called a SIG.   The pending updated procedures manual has this to say:

"...Special Interest Groups (SIGs) provide an ad-hoc forum for the discussion and coordination of topics that affect multiple WGs.
BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER groups (BOFs) that perform start-up studies and gestate technical proposals to the point where establishment of a Working Group may be decided..."

*         The CESG was briefed as to the progress/status of the RA SIG and is currently working a couple of different action items.

o   One of the action item is to produce an updated set of viewpoints specifications.  The connectivity view (RASDS) is to be added.  In addition to the set of concerns, modeling techniques, etc an additional column for each viewpoint stating the viewpoint objects and their relationships is also to be added (what this means exactly is currently in progress)

o   Based on the updated set of viewpoint specifications an example application with regards to ExoMars is being considered.

In general, not surprisingly, I believe there are still concerns of proper formal definition of the CCSDS reference architecture versus the need for quick solutions, etc. My take at this point is that the RA SIG is still in business but that we are awaiting clarification from completion of CESG action items. Please stay tuned.

Best regards,

-Erik