[Css-rasg] Draft CMC Resolution on RA-SIG

Barkley, Erik J (317H) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 7 20:49:15 EDT 2010

CCSDS Colleagues,

Following is the draft resolution from CMC with regard to the RA-SIG activity. As you can see, the SIG continues to be in business but with a somewhat different focus.   I am currently in the process of drafting a plan of how RA-SIG will proceed based upon the recommendation, and will be providing a response to CMC in the not-too-distant future accordingly. May I request that you please take a look at the resolution and provide any comments you may have? If possible could any comments be made available by Monday of next week? (12 July).  If you would like a day or two more please do not hesitate to let me know but I would like to ensure that response to the CMC resolution are initiated in a timely manner. Thank you in advance for your inputs.

With regard to point 6, ESA has already began efforts with regard to initiating a contract for the activity indicated.

Best regards,

-Erik

CMC-A-2010-06-Resolution 2:
The CMC commends the RA-SIG for the significant accomplishments and progress that has been made since its formation at the Fall 2009 CMC meeting. While the current approach has the clear potential to produce a comprehensive solution if sufficient resources are applied, the CMC is concerned that the proposed scope of work is too broad for the currently available resources and consequently the work plan needs to be narrowed in order to be achievable within a realistic resource envelope.
Accordingly, and as the top priority, the CMC resolves that the RA-SIG should first start with the analysis previously generated by the SEA AD.  They should focus on reaching agreement on that set of specific issues, and provide recommendations to resolve issues where CCSDS working groups are working on overlapping solutions and/or are conflicting with each other.

As a second priority the RA-SIG should concurrently develop a basic CCSDS reference architecture for mission operations, but they should limit that work to focus on the application service architecture (i.e., applications above the network layer).

Specifically, to proceed on both priorities, the CMC resolves that the RA-SIG group should:
1.       Ignore the data communications aspects; assume that we have at least a Network layer platform for transfer of data among the ground elements (TCP-UDP/IP) and between the ground elements and the spacecraft (BP, IP).
2.       Assume that we may have several messaging protocols for transfer of data among the ground elements and that AMS is used between the ground elements and the spacecraft
3.       Focus on the architecture and organization of CCSDS Mission Operations applications that run on the Messaging/Network layer platform.
4.       Start with the SM&C MO architecture. Modify it as necessary to reach consensus on an agreed   taxonomy of CCSDS mission operations applications that need to interoperate. Achieve this by integrating RA-SIG and SM&C architecture personnel as necessary to reach a consensus.
5.       Not delay the processing or approval of CCSDS books that have almost completed processing, but it is OK to delay CCSDS books that are in relatively early stages.
6.       Apply the resulting candidate mission operations application interoperability architecture to a well-known use case, e.g., cooperative ESA/NASA Mars missions in 2016 and 2018, to discover its robustness.
7.       Report the results at the Fall 2010 meeting.

The CMC recognizes that some of the overlap issues will require more time than 6 months. But by the Fall 2010 meeting, the group should show significant progress, including solid technical consensus on resolving many of the overlap issues.