[Css-dts] Clarification of SLE API Proxy standardisation

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Thu Sep 9 11:40:50 EDT 2004

Members of the DTSWG,
At the Montreal meeting, the DTSWG agreed to "Standardise [the] SLE API
Proxy", but would not attempt to standardize the ESA SLE API books
(rather those books would be published as "Best Practices" books).

I hope that the phrasing "standardize the SLE API Proxy" was merely a
short-hand description of the desired activity, which I hope is to
create a companion specification to the SLE transfer service
specifications such that someone could create an implementation that
would interoperate with one that is based on those "best practice" API
specs, using _only_ the transfer service specification(s) and said
"proxy" specification.

The versions of the SLE API Proxy specifications that I am familiar with
(a Feb 2001 ESA version and a May 2001 White Book) reference and rely
upon the "SLE C++ API for Transfer Services" document(s) that are now to
be Best Practices documents.  If this same dependency is continued in
the "proxy" White Book to be presented at the Fall meeting, then one or
more other specifications (e.g., the C++ API spec) would still be
required to allow full interoperation between implementations. I very
much hope that the new White Book will augment the existing (and
updated) proxy book material with whatever additional material is needed
to make it free-standing.

Please confirm or correct my interpretation of this effort. Thank you.

Best regards,
John