[Css-csts] Questions regarding absence of mdProdConfigurationChange event and mdSetContrParams directive

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Nov 30 17:30:59 UTC 2020

CSTSWG colleagues,
In Wolfgang’s review (below) of the updates that I made to “my” Tier-1 FRs, he observed that I had included neither the event mdProdConfigurationChange nor the directive mdSetContrParams for the MdCstsProvider FR. When we discussed this comment very briefly during last week’s telecon I agreed to revisit the issue. The following paragraphs discus the various issues. For each of the issues, I have highlighted by underline the direction that I intend to take unless otherwise decided by the WG.

First, let me address the absences of the mdSetContrParams directive. As I noted during last week’s brief discussion, the procedures that comprise the MD service (Association Control, On-Change-Option-Cyclic Report (derived from Cyclic Report), Information Query, and Notification) all have configuration parameters that are static (not dynamically reconfigurable). The configurable parameters of the MdCstsProvider FR consist of these static configuration parameters PLUS one other configurable parameter – mdResponseTimeout, which is the service-specific version of the response-timeout parameter mandated for all CSTSes in 3.2.1.2 of (the forthcoming) CSTS SFW B-2. In defining and requiring the presence of the response-timeout parameter, SFW B-2, is mute on the point of whether or not the parameter is dynamically reconfigurable. Because this parameter represents a mutually-agreed value between service user and service provider about when an abort situation exists, my belief is that this should be a static configuration parameter. If that is the consensus of the WG, then there would be no dynamically-configurable parameters of the MD service and thus no need for the mdSetContrParams directive. If the WG decides that response-timeout parameters such as mdResponseTimeout should be dynamically reconfigurable, then the mdSetContrParams directive would be added with the clarification that it applies only to mdResponseTimeout.

Unless the WG decides that the response timeouts should be dynamically reconfigurable, I will continue to exclude an mdSetContrParams directive.

NOTE – it might be worth considering adding an additional sentence, clause, or clarification to 3.2.1.2 of the SFW to reflect the decision regarding the dynamic modifiability of the response-timeout parameters, e.g., add to the end of 3.2.1.2 the sentence “The value of the response-timeout parameter shall | shall not be dynamically configurable while the service instance is bound.” When to include this change will depend on Tom G’s preparation of the SFW for release for CESG polling.

Now turn our attention to the mdProdConfigurationChange event. Originally, (and this is the way it is written in the B-1 version of the MD-CSTS book), I had envisioned a Monitored Data Collection FR to represent the functionality of making the parameter values and events of all FR instances of a Service Package available to the MD service instance. As part of this approach, the production status of the MD service was defined to be strictly and solely the resource status of the MD Collection FR. The motivation for this definition was, frankly, to avoid having to define what an operational production status would be for the MD service when in a sense the true production comprised all of the FRs in the Service Package. The MD Collection FR would have no configuration parameters (hence, no need for an mdProdConfigurationChange event)

Subsequently, I had difficulty justifying the existence of the MD Collection FR, in particular as something that an ESLT would have to “implement” – there was nothing to configure, and its resource status (its only reportable parameter) was itself vaguely and circularly defined. So I deleted the MD Collection FR.

But that deletion re-raises the question that I had tried to abstract away with the MD Collection FR, namely, what is the production status of the MdCstsProvider FR? We not only have address this for the FR definition in the Tier-1 FR SANA registry but also in the upcoming revision of the MD book itself.

My current thinking is to treat the production status of the MD service instance as essentially the status of the Service Package as a whole:

Configured – mdProdStat has the value ‘configured’ when qualified parameters can be generated and event notifications can be emitted for the functional resources that comprise the Service Package. NOTE -The intention of defining “configured” this way is to give the ESLT implementation flexibility in defining when the individual actual resources transition among unconfigured to configured to configured. If the MD service instance is able to report something for every FR in the Service Package, even if that something is ‘unavailable’, then the Service Package – and therefore mdProdStat - is considered to be configured.

Operational - mdProdStat has the value ‘operational’ when the functional resources of the Service Package that are needed to be operational at that given time are all operational. NOTE - The “at that given time” phrase allows the provider the flexibility to, for instance, internally transition resources that aren’t needed at the beginning of the execution of the Service Package from configured to operational later in the execution of the Service Package on a just-in-time basis.

Halted - mdProdStat has the value ‘halted’ when one or more of the functional resources of the Service Package that should be operational at that given time has been halted.

Interrupted - mdProdStat has the value ‘interrupted’ when one or more of the functional resources of the Service Package that should be operational at that given time has been interrupted.

If these interpretations of MD production status acceptable to the WG, I will reflect them in the MdCstsProvider definition in the Tier-1 data set and in Issue-2 of the MD book.

Now, finally, this change in the interpretation of MD production has the corollary reinterpretation of the mdProdConfigurationChange event, in which the change of any configuration parameter in any functional resource instance in the Service Package triggers the event.

I will therefore include the mdProdConfigurationChange event in the MdCstsProvider definition in the Tier-1 data set, defined as above.

NOTE that there is still some ambiguity here:

-        Should the event be emitted if any of the FRs in the whole Service Package has a parameter change, regardless of whether the FR being changed is operational at the time, or supposed to be operational at the time?, or

-        Should the event notifications occur only for configuration changes in FRs that should be operational at the given time?
I think that we can leave this detail to the individual  implementations, but if anyone has any strong feelings one way or another it would be appropriate to raise them now.

I look forward to your comments.

Best regards,
John