[Css-csts] RCF for USLP - a few more important comments

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Jul 13 20:36:26 UTC 2020

Holger, Wolfgang, and all,
A few hours after I sent my email below, I had an "Aha!" moment where I realized that there is a major shortcoming in the RCF book that I had completely overlooked until now. In a nutshell, there is no way that one can understand from this specification that the frames that are delivered by the RCF service could have been transferred over a link that was encoded with Turbo, SCCC, or DVB-S2 encoding, all of which are explicitly recognized by the RAF Blue Book. This omission has been fundamental to the RCF book and is a consequence of using the SLE Reference Model concept of "RAF Channel" to hide the details associated with how the frames are encoded. The SLE-RM incorrectly models the RCF service as processing the output of RAF production, and therefore assumes that how the transfer frames are filtered, and what those frames look like, is defined "somewhere else". Indeed these details *are* defined in the RAF specification (which correctly recognizes Turbo, SCCC, and DVB-S2 in addition to R-S, LDPC, and  FECF coding), but the RAF book is not even referenced by the RCF book. [For years, I have been hearing (second-hand) of complaints that the SLE books are missing necessary details. I always thought those were references to someone not knowing about ISP-1, but this is another case of a reason that a "newbie" would run into a dead end.]

As it stands, section 2.4 of the RCF book presents an incomplete and inaccurate view of how RCF services are actually implemented. Not only does it state that the RCF processes an "RAF Channel" (which the SLE-RM defines as a stream of RAF-SDUs) that is created by an undefined process, it further reflects the unrealized notion of staging by saying that the RCF service can be performed in a different SLE Complex than the one that produces the RAF Channel (i.e., an SLE Complex that performs the RAF service).

I realize that this poses a dilemma - the RCF book is written in accordance with the SLE-RM, but the SLE-RM is no longer an accurate representation of reality (if it ever was). The net effect is that section 2.4 is misleading and doesn't provide the information necessary for a "clean implementation" of RCF. Furthermore, the SLE-RM book itself is up for reauthorization, so we have the opportunity to fix the problems in either one (RCF or SLE-RM) or in both places.

However, how much of this can be solved in the SLE-RM depends on how much effort we are willing to expend on making that book correct all around. My understanding is that the current notion is to simply trim out what is not actually going to be implemented and combine the Rtn VC Frames and Rtn MC Frames services into a single Rtn Frames service, and state that the rest is for historical record but any other services would be implemented using CSTS. If that is all that is going to be done to the SLE-RM, then I would suggest at a minimum the following fixes to the RCF book:

a)      Add the RAF, SCCC, and DVB-S2 books as references (alternatively, remove the reference to the TM S&CC book and figure out how to make the RCF book independent of the coding scheme);

b)     Rework 2.4 to:

1)     In Fig. 2-1, remove the Return All Frames service line and associated T-U connector, and change the "Return All Frames data channel" label on the line to "annotated valid transfer frames";

2)     Add "annotated valid transfer frames" to `1.6.1.8;

3)     Change the references to "RAF Channel" to "annotated valid transfer frames";

4)     In Fig. 2-2, change "From RAF Channel" to "From Space Link" and change "RAF-SLE-SDU" to "SL-DU";

5)     In fig 2-3, change "RAF channel" to "annotated valid transfer frames";

6)     Remove the wording about the RAF channel (annotated valid transfer frames) coming from a different SLE Complex. In the diagrams, remove the TU;

7)     Add a reference to the appropriate section(s) of the RAF book that describe the RAF Production, in particular (a) how the frames are validated, (b) what constitutes the content of a validated frame for each of the coding scheme, and (c) what constitutes the annotation that is appended to each valid transfer frame.

Best regards,
John