[Css-csts] [EXTERNAL] elimination of the Monitored Data Collection FR

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Jan 22 20:58:23 UTC 2020

Hi, Peter.
Your comment is not off-base at all. In fact, I was thinking along the same lines (now many moons ago) when I introduced the MD Collection FR into the FR Reference Model – as a representation of that aggregation functionality. However, as things evolved it turned out that it doesn’t justify creation of functional resource to represent it, for reasons that I hope the following will make clear.

As you point out, an FR is an abstraction of functionality that can actually be implemented in (possibly) multiple ways. The two extremes of the spectrum are (1) on the one end, to treat the resources that are represented by the FRs as focused only doing only the essential function(s) of the FR (e.g., frame encoding), and therefore some “separate” function must be assumed to interface with these resources using each resources native interface and translate into the FR-oriented “language” spoken by MD-CSTS; and (2) on the other end, the resources represented by the FRs *include* the functionality to make them “smart” managed objects capable of interacting directly with MD CSTS. The first approach supports the specification of a separate MD Collection FR. However, as the FR concept evolved, we’ve adopted the second approach. This approach is consistent with the concepts of managed object found in SNMP, CMIS/CMIP, and other network management services and protocols. When – as often is the case – the actual resources are in fact pretty “dumb”, these network management paradigms have introduced the concept of a proxy agent that make the resource look like a protocol-compliant managed object to the management entity (pay no attention to the man behind the curtain). Of course, the reality may be any of numerous shades of grey between the extremes.

When things are boiled down, what justifies creating a Functional Resource to represent/encapsulate a function (or set of functions) is whether we can isolate some or all of the following with respect to that functionality: (a) parameters needed to configure that functionality, (b) some “readable” parameters (e.g., counts of processed data units), (c) event notifications with respect to that functionality, and/or (d) real-time directives that can alter the performance that functionality.

As a result of our treating the FRs themselves as smart managed objects, it has turned out that all of parameters, events, and directive (PEDs) associated with the collection of monitored data have been distributed to the FRs themselves. For example, part of the configuration information for every FR instance in a configuration profile includes the Functional Resource Instance Number (FRIN), which the MD-CSTS uses to uniquely identify the instance of the FR and therefore uniquely identify (for example) which of the CCSDS 401 Space Link Carrier Reception FRs (i.e., receivers) has transitioned to ‘interrupted’. And we assert that each FR knows the CCSDS-standard OIDs for the parameters, events, and directives that it supports. The FRIN of course has nothing to do with the essential functionality of any FR – it only purpose for inclusion in the specification of the FR’s parameters is to allow it to “speak FR-ese” with MD- CSTS (and in the future, Service Control CSTS).

The distribution of these PEDs to the FRs themselves turns out to leave no PEDs that can be uniquely identified with the collection function itself, and so defining a separate collection functional resource is a somewhat empty exercise. Yes, we know that such a collection function must be performed, but the existence of one or more MD-CSTS Provider FRs in the service package automatically indicates that such collection is going on. Once I convinced myself of this, I deleted the MD Collection FR.

I hope this explanation makes some sense.

Best regards,
John