[Css-csts] elimination of the Monitored Data Collection FR

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 22 18:39:13 UTC 2020

Dear John,

I concur with your assessment.  I think we need to consider that the CSS Area recommendations are essentially interface specs and not implementation specs.  To that end, although an implementation needs to gather its monitor data somehow, the key standardization aspect is the transfer of that monitor data (as in the Cross Support Transfer Service or CSTS).  By contrast, stating what I'll call "slippery-slope" roll-up rules that includes such possibilities as "status is 'interrupted', with the understanding that some/most services are still being provided" is just asking for trouble.  If there is to be a report on each service being provided as to its status I think that makes sense.  But in terms of aggregational assessment think it is much better to defer this to the agency (should they decide that this provides value).   In the end I think eliminating collection FR is well within keeping of the Einstein maximum of  "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Best regards,
-Erik