[Css-csts] Functional Resources for the Forward Frame CSTS

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Oct 10 14:21:22 UTC 2018

CSTSWG colleagues ---
I have just concluded a review of the definitions of the Functional Resources that are associated with Forward Frame CSTS. This review included both the higher-level definitions found in the Functional Resource Reference Model Tech Note and the detailed parameter, event, and directive (PED) definitions found in the Candidate SANA FR Registry. The results are documented in the White Paper Functional Resources for the Forward Frame CSTS, which has been posted at URL
https://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS%20Area/CWE%20Private/Functional%20Resources%20and%20Service%20Components/FunctionalResourcesForForwardFrameCsts-181008.docx

The format of the White Paper is to document each FF-CSTS-related FR, using both the corresponding higher-level descriptive material from the FR RM Tech Note and tables of (a) the configuration parameters, (b) read-only parameters, (c) notification events, and (d) directives of each FR type. The core content of these tables is based on the current contents of the Candidate SANA FR Registry. PEDs that are acceptable as-is are labeled as "See the SANA FR Registry". PEDs that need adjustment of some sort are so annotated with the description of the needed adjustment(s), and new PEDS are annotated with "NEW PARAMETER (EVENT, DIRECTIVE)".

There has been some question as to whether the forthcoming Unified Space Data Link Protocol (USLP) should be represented by existing FR types (e.g., Forward TC, Forward  AOS, and Return TM AOS) or have its own set of FRs. Given that USLP combines subsets of capabilities of TC, TM, and AOS (as well as Prox-1, which we don't have to concern ourselves with since the FRs are currently confined to ESLTs) , I have come to the conclusion that it is easier/better overall to create separate USLP-specific FRs than to try to sprinkle "If the frames are USLP fixed/variable-length frame" kinds of statements throughout the definitions of the current TC, TM, and AOS SDLP FR types. So the White Paper contains new FR definitions for USLP.

I have also updated the SANA FR Registry Items spreadsheet to include the issues and concerns that arose during this evaluation. It has been posted at URL
https://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/Functional%20Resources%20Definition/SANA/FR_Registry_Items-2018-10-04.xlsx

Hopefully we can find some time next week to discuss these results .

Best regards,
John