[Css-csts] Forward Frame White Book V0.2 on CWE

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Oct 31 20:47:34 UTC 2017

CSTSWG colleagues ---
I have posted (draft) W-0.2 of the Forward Frame CSTS specification one the CWE at URL:
https://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/Future%20Services%20using%20Toolkit/Forward%20Frame%20CSTS/FF-CSTS-922x3-w-0_2-review.doc

The focus of this draft is on:

-          Section 3: Composition of the FF-CSTS. This section is a complete strawman - that is, it addresses all of the required content for this section, although of course it is subject to review and discussion.

-          Section 4: the specification of the Sequence-Controlled Frame Data Processing procedure (derived from the Framework Sequence-Controlled Data Processing procedure). This, too, is a complete strawman section.

-          Section 5: the specification of the Buffered Frame Data Processing procedure (derived from the Framework Buffered Data Processing procedure). Again, a complete strawman section.

-          Annex B: the ASN.1 specification of the Object Identifiers (OIDs) for the Forward Frame service. This is "strawman complete" with regard to the OIDs associated with the Sequence-Controlled Frame Data Processing procedure, and only "top-level" complete with respect to the the OIDs associated with the Buffered Frame Data Processing procedure

-          Annex C: ASN.1 specification of the Sequence-Controlled Frame Data Processing PDUs. Again, "strawman complete".

-          Annex F: ASN.1 specification of data types specific to the Forward Frame procedures.

Sections 1 & 2 have been left in but for the most part not updated from the previous draft version distributed last spring.  The remaining sections are, for the most part, still "To Be Supplied".

In attempting to deal with the dual-prime-procedure nature of the Forward Frame service, I have chosen to test out the approach of declaring two modes for the service - Sequence-Controlled and Buffered - and organizing section 3 (where the prime procedure is declared) around that approach. This is a test demo of this approach, for us to see how it looks (for my part, I think it works well).

I've also used this draft to test different "styles" where the Guidelines are mute or sufficiently loose, to let us experiment with some different ways of presenting the material. So you'll notice that, for example, the section for the  Sequence-Controlled Frame Data Processing procedure explains the contents of some of the tables (to make the book more self-contained) while the section on the Buffered Frame Data Processing procedure provides no explanation of those tables (which essentially requires the reader to read the spec side-by-side with the Guidelines in order to interpret the contents of the tables). My intention is to let us see how we like these different styles. Once we've come to a decision, of course all sections will be brought in alignment with the selected style.

I look forward to discussing this with you next week.

Best regards,
John