[Css-csts] Changes in CSTS Working Group

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Thu Nov 30 14:57:51 UTC 2017

Dear CSTS Working Group members,

since the Fall Meeting in The Hague from some days ago, there have been
some events which will have an impact on our Working Group.

The Meeting of the CMC ( CCSDS Management Council) has taken place at
ESOC, in the week following the Fall Meeting.
In that occasion I have been appointed as Nestor Peccia's successor as
CESG Chair, at least for 2018.
The immediate effect for the CSTS WG  - and for the CSS Area -  is that I
will completely step out.
As you all know, Holger Dreihahn had already been appointed as new WG
Chairman, and  he is meanwhile fully up-to-speed .
I am sure he will very efficiently lead the activities of the group, with
everybody's support.
Concerning my role of Deputy Area Director, in the next weeks the required
steps will be undertaken, to provide candidates by all Agencies and then
to select one of them.

The activities of the CSTS WG are meanwhile quite advanced. Actually,
those from the original Charter are approaching their completion.
But new projects have been (or will be)  started,  which will keep the WG
busy for some time.
Let me summarise the  status of the WG activities to date:

- the draft project "Forward Frame CSTS" in the CWE Framework  has been
fully filled-in with all required resources. All the due dates for the
various project phases have been discussed and agreed within the WG at the
Fall Meeting . The AD will shortly issue the resolution about the
formalisation of the new Project . As you know, the WG already started
working on this recommendation and,  actually, the work is rather
advanced.

- the Agency Review for Tracking Data CSTS has been completed at the Fall
Meeting. All RIDs have been dispositioned, and now the book is being
updated by Wolfgang and it should be ready shortly. Unfortunately,
however, it cannot be sent to publication, because the Prototype
development is not yet completed. Once it will be completed, there could
potentially still be changes to the book, should the prototype development
reveal any shortcoming..

- the "CSTS Guideline"  has completed the CMC Poll, and will shortly be
submitted  to Agency Review.  By the way, the Working Group has already
found some issues, which can be turned into RIDs during the Review.

- the "CSTS Concept" is (almost) ready for publication as Green Book,
pending one modification that Wolfgang will  carry out.

-  the good news for the CSTS WG -  but also for the CSS Area -  is about
Service Control CSTS. At the CESG meeting, as well as at the  IOAG meeting
which I have attended few days ago, I brought up the fact that  "Service
Control CSTS", which the CSS Area considers essential, does not appear in
any Service Catalogue of  IOAG, and therefore it is not in the to-do-list
of  CCSDS. The outcome of that discussion was that this issue shall
shortly  be addressed by the IOAG. Their Working Group  in charge of
defining the "Catalogues" of the required services will address that with
the member Agencies. Then (hopefully) that service will be inserted into
the update of the Catalogue. This will in turn drive the prioritisation
within CCSDS for the relevant development of the service specification.

I hope I have not overlooked anything.

We shall still see each other during  the technical meetings, as I will
still be around in CCSDS . in my new role.
Good luck, and ... keep up the good work !

Margherita

Margherita di Giulio
Ground Station Back-end Section (OPS-GIB)

European Space Agency ESA/ESOC
Robert-Bosch-Str. 5
D-64293 Darmstadt - Germany
Tel: +49-6151-902779