[Css-csts] RE: Updated MD-CSTS on CWE

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Wed Jun 10 13:22:59 UTC 2015

Dear Erik and All,
Indeed we are aware of the registry management policy that is being
developed by Peter.  In this context, I?d like to mention that in a
brainstorming  held yesterday with Wolfgang and Holger, we came up with a
proposals about the use of some OIDs in CSTS and the relevant registration
approach.  More specifically, we were addressing the issue of the
components building up the SI Identifier . This topic will be
comprehensively described by Wolfgang shortly, but basically the idea is
to make use of OIDs for all components, namely the spacecraft identifier,
the facility identifier and the ( meanwhile agreed) functional resource
associated to each given SLE or CSTS instance of service.
Also, welcoming a suggestion from John, we thought that such elements will
travel on the wire in their ?OID shape? , i.e. any mapping to a string ,
or a name, or whatever else, will be done by the local applications, in
the best suited way for the operators. (Notice, that this applies to
CSTS?s  SIIs. Concerning SLE?s  SII,  they will remain as are).
That approach implies, if agreed , that the CSTS Specification Framework
book can be updated with such notion of SII - and the book can thus
continue its path towards completion/publication. However, the CSTS WG
will rely  on the coordination within the CSS area for proper definition
of the OIDs (other than the ones for FRs) and, I assume,  CSS will
coordinate with SEA (or experts group, or?) for proper registration
approach.
In my view coordination on this topic within CSS is required  possibly
already in the upcoming teleconferences, and notably  at Fall Meeting.
Also, I would like to address  John?s question about registration of ASN.1
modules. Actually, the CSTS WG did request the registration of the OIDs of
the ASN.1 modules from CSTS SFW, and these are now visible, although in
preliminary form , in the SANA registry under APROVED REGISTRIES/CCSDS
Object identifiers.  There it is possible to see (again, in preliminary
form) the tree structure of the OIDs, and notably the branching between
SLE OIDs and CSTS OIDs. This said, the registries need to be updated, to
bring them in line with the latest version of CSTS SFW, and the title
shall be revised to something more specific then ?CCSDS Object
identifiers?.
So, I would conclude that also MD CSTS (and any other CSTS) shall register
its  ASN.1 OIDs in the same way.
We can discuss this point at next CSTS WG Telecon, scheduled  by 24 June (
an invitation will be sent shortly).
Kind regards,
Margherita
Margherita di Giulio
Ground Station Back-end Section (HSO-GIB)
European Space Agency ESA/ESOC
Robert-Bosch-Str. 5
D-64293 Darmstadt - Germany
Tel: +49-6151-902779