[Css-csts] RE: DPP Prototype ASN.1 definitions

Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO50)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT] david.a.zoller at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 17 08:12:12 EST 2014

John,
Thank you. I see now that the usages of Performer and Invoker are consistent with your explanation.
Best regards,
DZ

David Zoller
COLSA Corporation
MSFC/HOSC - C107
*Office: (256) 544-1820
*EMail: david.a.zoller at nasa.gov<mailto:david.a.zoller at nasa.gov>

From: John Pietras [mailto:john.pietras at gst.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:58 PM
To: Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO50)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT]
Cc: css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: RE: DPP Prototype ASN.1 definitions

David,
I'll let others in the WG respond to your other questions, but regarding the first one (Performer/Invoker vs. User/Provider), the role pairs are not synonymous. The Invoker is the entity that invokes (kicks off) the operation. The service User is the invoker for the BIND, UNBIND, START, STOP, PROCESS-DATA, GET, and EXECUTE-DIRECTIVE operations, but the Provider is the invoker of the TRANSFER-DATA, and NOTIFY operations (see table 2-1 of the CSTS SFW). You may asking why we don't just use one set of roles (e.g., User/Provider) and abandon the other (e.g., Invoker/Performer). There were two initial reasons for using the two sets of role terminology. First, the terminology used to describe Space Link Extension (SLE - the conceptual forerunner of CSTS) established the Invoker/Performer roles as the ones associated with the operations themselves,  whereas the User/Provider roles were characteristics of the entities that perform those roles. Since the ASN.1 is really defining the interfaces to the operations, the Invoker/Performer designations are most appropriate there. Second, the SLE Return service specifications formally allow either the User or Provider to initiate the service instance (that is, either the User or Provider can invoke the BIND operation), so (technically) for SLE return you can't always assume User = BIND invoker (although no SLE implementation currently supports Provider-initiated return SLE services). Even though provider initiation was dropped from CSTS, the separate role distinction still exists in the CSTS "DNA".

Hope this makes at least a little sense.