[Css-csts] DPP Prototypes

Zoller, David A. (MSFC-EO50)[HOSC SERVICES CONTRACT] david.a.zoller at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 5 17:08:04 EST 2014

Dear CSTS WG members,
First, Wolfgang, excellent work on the January draft of the Specification Framework. Your command of the English language is better than the vast majority of us native speakers. Being from Alabama, I probably speak "Southern" rather than English :). Please find below just a few cosmetic tweaks in case you did not catch them while you are polishing the final version.

Second, after listening to the discussions during last week's teleconference, I decided to take a step back on the Data Processing Procedure prototypes and try instead to specify and implement a prototype service that incorporates the DP procedures. I have uploaded a draft specification for the Buffered Data Processing (BDP) Prototype Service which details the encompassed procedures and operations and goes into detail for the current available ASN.1 message usage. Initially, I am making use of the framework components as specified but may experiment with extending some of them in the future. Please review the draft to make sure that I am not straying too far from the proper framework usage.

The draft prototype service document is BDP Prototype Service Specification [Draft 20140205].docx and is located in a new directory:

Cross Support Services Area (CSS) > Documents > CSS-CSTS > CWE Private > Working Materials > DPP Prototypes

This link might take you to the correct location after you are logged in:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcss%2Fdocs%2FCSS%2DCSTS%2FCWE%20Private%2FWorking%20Materials%2FDPP%20Prototypes&FolderCTID=0x012000A2CFA608DF169C4EB988261660CEFAEB&View={8045374D-F8E0-4356-83CA-993252A38FE8}<http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcss%2Fdocs%2FCSS%2DCSTS%2FCWE%20Private%2FWorking%20Materials%2FDPP%20Prototypes&FolderCTID=0x012000A2CFA608DF169C4EB988261660CEFAEB&View=%7b8045374D-F8E0-4356-83CA-993252A38FE8%7d>

In the process of reviewing the latest updates and developing a prototype service specification, I generated another set of points for clarification on the ASN.1 usage and framework protocol. Please find those below as well.

Best regards,
DZ

David Zoller
COLSA Corporation
MSFC/HOSC - C107
*Office: (256) 544-1820
*EMail: david.a.zoller at nasa.gov<mailto:david.a.zoller at nasa.gov>

Review of 921x1r2[Draft_20140127].docx:

·         Page 1-6

o   There are extra spaces in the item:  "l)    space link"

·         Page 1-10

o   1.7.1.4.41 refinement

§  "refinement" should be bolded

·         Page 3-9

o   3.3.2.7.3 is an artifact that can be deleted

·         Page 3-11

o   3.4.2.2.1.3 The type AssocBindNegReturnExt, as defined inE3.5, shall define the syntax of the extended header carrying the responder-identifier required by the negative BIND return.

§  A space needs to be inserted: "in E3.5"

·         Page 4-1

o   4.2.2 ASSOCIATION AND PRIME PROCEDURE HANDLING

§  This heading is no longer applicable to the contents of the section

·         Possibly?  TERMINATION EVENT PROPAGATION

Framework Protocol and ASN.1 Items:

·         If a START invocation is received for a procedure that is already active there is not a predefined diagnostic

o   I plan to return otherReason set to "already active"

·         If a STOP invocation is received for a procedure that is not active there is not a predefined diagnostic

o   I plan to return otherReason set to "not active"

·         BuffDataProcProcDataInvocExt extends the PROCESS-DATA Invocation to specify whether or not to produce  a completion report

o   Is it permissible to set the ProcessDataInvocation.extensionParameter to "notUsed" to default to not produce a completion report? Or would that be a protocol breach requiring a negative return?

·         Page E-49  under E3.16 CSTS FRAMEWORK OBJECT INDENTIFIERS, the structure PBDPdataTransferModeType is defined to specify the configurable parameters of the Buffered Data Processing Procedure

o   My current plan is to return the configurable parameters as individual qualified parameters because this structure does not fit into the GetReturn mold

§  What is the intended usage of this structure? An extension to GetReturn as in BuffDataProcGetReturnExt?

§  Delete this structure?

§  What is the correct location for this structure if it is kept?

o   A nitpick while on page E-49:

§  pBDPInputQueueSize should be pBDPinputQueueSize with a lower case "i" to conform to the convention of the other related OID names

·         From my draft prototype service specification, is it correct to use the procBufferedDataProcessing OID in both locations below?

o   NOTIFY Invocation  (provider to user)

Field

Value

NotifyInvocation
    .standardInvocationHeader
         .invokerCredentials

unused

NotifyInvocation
.standardInvocationHeader
.invokeId

<provider specified>

NotifyInvocation
.standardInvocationHeader
.procedureInstanceId
.procedureType

OID: procBufferedDataProcessing

NotifyInvocation
.standardInvocationHeader
.procedureInstanceId
.procedureRole

primeProcedure

NotifyInvocation
.eventTime

<time in CCSDS Millisecond format>

NotifyInvocation
.eventName
.functionalResourceName

frameworkResourceName

NotifyInvocation
.eventName
.functionalResourceName
.frameworkResourceName
.procedureType

OID: procBufferedDataProcessing

Same as above?

NotifyInvocation
.eventName
.functionalResourceName
.frameworkResourceName
.procedureRole

primeProcedure

NotifyInvocation
.notificationType
.eventName
.paramOrEventId

One of the following OIDs:
dataProcessingCompleted
svcProductionHalted
svcProductionInterrupted
svcProductionOperational

NotifyInvocation
.notificationType
.eventValue

empty

NotifyInvocation
.notificationType
.notificationTypeExtension

notUsed

NotifyInvocation
.extensionParameter

external

NotifyInvocation
.extensionParameter
.external
.identification

syntax

NotifyInvocation
.extensionParameter
.external
.identification
.syntax

OID: bdpNotifyInvocExt

NotifyInvocation
.extensionParameter
.external
.data_value

ASN.1 encoding of a  BuffDataProcNotifyInvocExt structure
BuffDataProcNotifyInvocExt specifies values for:
dataUnitIdLastProcessed dataUnitIdLastOk
productionStatus