[Css-csts] Blocking/non-blocking operations in derived procedures

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Mar 13 07:53:34 EST 2013

Yves,
I tend to agree with you - I can't see any reason to allow it to change in a derived procedure. The only thing that made me question it is that for every derived procedure in a service specification we include a “Procedure Blocking/Non-Blocking” column in the table that identifies the operations of the procedure. Since we have in general tried to include in the service specifications only new information or information that modifies the parent procedure, the presence of that column in the table for the derived procedures raised the question in my mind.

If the consensus of the CSTSWG is that the B/NB behavior cannot change in a derived procedure, we should probably state that in some normative fashion, probably in the Guidelines. Even though we are not actively working on the Guidelines now, I could make the related changes to the working draft and post it to the CWE. But I will wait to hear if anyone has a counterargument (that is, a reason to allow the B/NB behavior to be changed from that of the parent) before I do so.