[Css-csts] Re: prototypes updates

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Jul 31 12:56:09 EDT 2013

Fabienne,
I can't see any way around mandating that the Provider clearly specify the FR instance number for each parameter and event. My original concept for functional resource names (several years ago) used text strings that might be considered more "user friendly" (e.g., "Return Carrier: X-Band") but over time this concept evolved to the current {OID:FR Instance Number} concept, on the grounds that it is less prone to "typing" errors (e.g., defined as "Return Carrier" but entered in the subscription as "ReturnCarrier") and not requiring specification of a syntax for FR Names.  But even if we kept the text-based FR Names the Provider would still have to ensure that each parameter or event is tagged with the correct name.

Regarding your concern about whether the user will be able to unambiguously relate a FR Name (FR Type plus Instance Number) to its user-friendly name: when the Mission establishes a Configuration Profile with a Provider, each component of the Configuration Profile that corresponds to a Functional Resource Type and a text identifier parameter (e.g., carrierProfileId). This identifier can be set to whatever the Utilization Management (i.e., the Mission) finds useful for characterizing that Configuration Profile component - for example,  "X-Band Return Carrier". When that Configuration Profile is used to schedule service, Complex Management (or to use the new SCCA-ADD term, Provision Management (PM)) sends the scheduled Service Package Result to UM. The Service Package Result identifies each Functional Resource instance with both the text name of the Configuration Profile component and the Functional Resource Name of the corresponding Functional Resource instance. As long as UM retains the Service Package Result that is sent by PM (UM can also query PM for a re-send), UM has the mapping between the user-friendly text name and the formal, OID-based FR Name.

I attempted to demonstrate how this works in section 7 of the" Functional Resources for Cross Support Services"` technical note (http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-SM/CWE%20Private/Functional%20Resources/FunctionalResources_TechNote-TN-0.02-2013-05-30.docx). This section needs to be updated but the general idea is described.

Some changes that I plan to make in the next update (which I plan to make available prior to the fall meeting) are:
1.	Align the example with the most-recent set of FR Types, Parameter Labels, and Events Labels;
2.	Use the Functional Resource Types in the Service Package Results, in addition to the Instance Numbers (which are called functionalResourceInstance and serviceInstanceNumber in the version posted on the CWE). When I originally wrote this section I thought that it would be sufficient for the instance numbers to be present, because UM could know the FR Type by other means. However, including the FR Type eliminates some effort and more importantly removes some chance for misinterpretation.
3.	Put a text identifier in every Configuration Profile component that corresponds to an FR instance. As currently documented in the tech note last fall,  if a configuration profile component has a one-to-one relationship with another configuration profile component that *does* have a text identifier, no separate text identifier is supported. For example, CCSDS 401 states that a carrier has at most one subcarrier. In the tech note (and, coincidentally, in SCCS-SM-B-1) the Carrier Profile gets and text name but its subcarrier does not because I previously assumed that by the Service Package Result structure the FR instance text name could be inferred from the relationship between the carrier and subcarrier. That is, if the carrierProfileId is "X-Band Return Carrier" then the name of its subcarrier could be inferred to be "X-Band Return Subcarrier". However, this requires some UM process (human or automated) to walk the Service Package Result structure and make these inferences.