[Css-csts] RE: Updated CSTS SFW on CWE - labels

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Jul 8 11:57:03 EDT 2013

Yves,
My comments are interleaved below.

From: Yves.Doat at esa.int [mailto:Yves.Doat at esa.int]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 2:37 AM
To: John Pietras
Cc: CCSDS_CSTSWG (css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org); css-csts-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: Re: [Css-csts] RE: Updated CSTS SFW on CWE - labels

Dear John,

Thanks for your reply.

1. No mixing of Names and Labels
As you did not really object I kept the definition as is not allowing the mixture of names and labels in a request.
The defined ASN.1 has not been changed and read as follows:
ListOfParametersEvents                        ::=        CHOICE
{        defaultList                        [0]        NULL
,        paramEventNames                [1]        SEQUENCE OF Name
,        paramEventLabels                [2]        SEQUENCE OF Label
,        listName                        [3]        VisibleString
,        functionalResourceName        [4]        FunctionalResourceName
}

My main argument to keep the definition as is, is simplicity. Allowing mixing would be possible but would introduce a complexity in the definition. The consequence of this approach is that a service user that will need to retrieve names and labels will have to issue two requests.
In case someone would have a concern with that approach please let me know.
As I stated in my earlier message, I have no objection to not allowing the mixture of Names and Labels. However, there two places in my proposed revised text ("921x1r2[Draft 201306] - Return Services-JVP") that imply that they could be mixed. Below are proposed rewordings:

a)      Section 3.11.2.3.1 (b), second sentence: change "The list of unknown Parameter Names and Parameter Labels shall be returned with the diagnostic."
"The list of unknown Parameter Names or Parameter Labels shall be returned with the diagnostic."

b)      Section 4.7.4.1.3.1 (b), second sentence: change "The list of unknown Parameter Names and Parameter Labels shall be returned with the diagnostic."
"The list of unknown Parameter Names or Parameter Labels shall be returned with the diagnostic."

2. Return of Names when Labels are requested:
Another aspect which you are addressing is what a service provider shall return in case a label is required. At the moment he can return a name or a label.
In your proposed scenario, in case the service provider only "knows" one name whether he returns a name or a label does not make any difference and can be accepted.
However in the case a service provider would "know" more than one name and return a label, the service user may be misled as he cannot be sure if the returned information is the requested on.

A solution would be to force the service provider only to return names. In case a service user would request a label and the service would "know" more than a name, he would return all "known" names. The service user would have to filter/search himself for the desired one. This would resolve the uncertainty but I am not sure is the service user would "know" how to filter.
The question is: Do we want the service provider to return only names and do not allow the return of labels? On one hand I adhere to this limitation, on the other hand this implementation would remove flexibility for the service definition and may be counter-productive.
Currently the definition allows the service provider to return names and labels.
This solution impacts the current definition and I would appreciate to get the position of the group members.
(In case my explanation is not clear we should discuss the topic in a next teleconference.)

It was my understanding from our discussion at the last telecon that we decided that if the user subscribed to a parameter or event using its Name, then the report/notification/etc. would have to use the full Name also. I don't believe that we had any decision on what has to be returned when a Label is used in the subscription. In "921x1r2[Draft 201306] - Return Services-JVP", I tried to address this by proposing explicit requirements that (a) state that a Name returns a Name, and (b) defers the decision about what gets returned in response to a Label to the service specifications that use that procedure.
Specifically, for the Notification procedure, the relevant requirements are:
4.8.3.2.3  If an event is subscribed in terms of an individual event name, the corresponding notification-type parameter (see 3.10.2.2.3.1) shall contain that event name.
4.8.3.2.4  The service specification or derived procedure shall specify the conditions under which it is permissible or required to use the event label or event name in a notification-type parameter that corresponds to an event that is subscribed in terms of an event label.
For the qualified parameters (which are returned for all procedures that deal with parameters) the relevant requirements are:
B2.3  If a parameter in the list-of-parameters parameter is identified by an individual parameter name, the corresponding qualified parameter shall include that parameter name.
B2.4 The service specification or derived procedure shall specify the conditions under which it is permissible or required to use the parameter label or parameter name in a qualified parameter that corresponds to a parameter in the list-of-parameters parameter that is identified by an individual parameter label.
If the CSTSWG agrees with this approach (Names result in Names, but the result of Labels is determined by the service) then I think the above requirements largely resolve the problem. The only resulting issue that I can think of is how such definition should be documented in the service specifications. I believe that since it would be a "down selection" of existing possibilities (Names, Labels, or Names and Labels) it should be treated as a refinement. Does this seem correct to the rest of the CSTSWG?
The procedures in some services may be perfectly unambiguous with returning labels - e.g., the production status of an SLE-like CSTS can be assumed to always apply to the production associated with that CSTS instance, and so the instance number is not necessary.
However, for something like the MD-CSTS, it will always be necessary to return full Names. I will revisit the MD-CSTS specification to ensure (a) that it handles individual Labels as well as Names in the list-of-parameters and list-of-events parameters and (b) that it is clear that Names are always returned regardless of whether Names or Labels are used in the subscriptions. If we agree that this should be treated as a refinement, then I'll make the appropriate changes to the MD-CSTS specification.

Best regards

Yves
Head of the Ground Facilities Infrastructure Section  (HSO-ONI)
in the Ground Facilities Operations Division
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/

John Pietras <john.pietras at gst.com<mailto:john.pietras at gst.com>>

"Yves.Doat at esa.int<mailto:Yves.Doat at esa.int>" <Yves.Doat at esa.int<mailto:Yves.Doat at esa.int>>

"CCSDS_CSTSWG \(css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org\<mailto:css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org\>)" <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>>

24/06/2013 18:44

[Css-csts] RE: Updated CSTS SFW on CWE - labels

Sent by:

css-csts-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:css-csts-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org>

Yves,
I think that there are two basic scenarios for using labels vs. names for parameters, notifications, etc. In the first scenario, there is at most one instance of each functional resource type associated with a particular CSTS instance. In such a case simple labels could be used with the expectation that the provider would "know" which functional resource instance applies. E.g., if the user of a CSTS asks for a parameter of that CSTS's FR Type, the user can simply use the label and the Provider CSSS will know that it applies to that CSTS instance. Similarly, the user could use the label to ask for (published) parameters for any production FR Type associated with that CSTS type (e.g., the carrier lock parameter value of the return space link carrier reception FR instance that provides that is reported by a RUFT CSTS instance). In this scenario I can imagine that labels would always (or almost always) be used. The service specification might have to specify that a label will only return the value that is directly associated with the CSTS instance (that is, for example, that a user of the RUFT service asking for the carrier lock status will only get the status associated with that RUFT service instance, and not the carrier statuses for all return space link carrier reception FR instances in the Service Package).

The other case is when the CSTS must be able to access the parameters, notifications, etc., of multiple instances of FR Types (e.g., the MD-CSTS). In this case a Name can be used to identify a single instance of a parameter or event, or a Label can be used to identify all instances in the Service Package*. Until now Labels were used only in conjunction with predefined lists, but now we can extend this and put individual labels in the list of parameters or list of events. Here is where it might be useful to mix names and labels - e.g., "I want all instance of carrier lock in the Service Package [label] and the number of frames received for RAF instance 2 only [name]". This is the only case where I think it might be desirable to mix labels and names. It might also be done by using separate instances of the procedures.
[* I say "in the Service Package" because there needs to be some way to scope what the label refers to. For the MD-CSTS and TD-CSTS, the scope is naturally the Service Package, but there might be other scopes for other CSTS types.]

I don't have a strong desire to see names and labels mixed in the same list, and I see that the ASN.1 is currently structured to not permit mixing. However, if  label and names are not permitted to be mixed, then perhaps you might want to remove the implication that they can be mixed the sections that currently say things like "a set of parameter names or labels" by changing them to something like "a set of parameter names or a set of parameter labels."