[Css-csts] RE: Proposed Object Identifiers

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Wed Nov 28 02:36:21 EST 2012

Dear John,

With the current approach and the CSTS proposal, this new branch is only
foreseen for those complex types that cannot be defined using the current CST
ASN.1:
TypeAndValue			::=   CHOICE
{     integer                 [0]   SEQUENCE OF INTEGER
,     intUnsigned             [1]   SEQUENCE OF IntUnsigned
,     duration                [2]   SEQUENCE OF Duration
,     characterString         [3]   SEQUENCE OF VisibleString
,     boolean                 [4]   SEQUENCE OF BOOLEAN
,     octetString             [5]   SEQUENCE OF OCTET STRING
,     float                   [6]   SEQUENCE OF REAL
,     time                    [7]   SEQUENCE OF Time
,     enumerated              [8]   SEQUENCE OF IntUnsigned
,     valueExtension          [100] Extended
}
TypeAndValueComplexQualified	::=     CHOICE
{     typeAndValue            [0]   TypeAndValue
,     complexSequence         [1]   SEQUENCE OF TypeAndValue
,     complexSet              [2]   SET OF TypeAndValue
}

Your proposed approach would be that any parameter would have its own OID and
would not make use of the types definition in our ASN.1. I see 2 drawback to
that approach:
   As any parameter would have its own OID, we will end with different OID
   defining the same type;
   The number of OID to manage may become important;

As far as possible I would prefer to maintain the current approach and only
allow the definition of a different types for exceptional cases.

I can however understand that SM is interested by this flexibility and may be
you could better explain which usage would be proposed.

Best regards
Yves