[Css-csts] RE: Mapping Functional Resource IDs to SM Service Packages

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue May 8 16:14:32 EDT 2012

Anthony,

Off the top of my head, I agree that the handover situation might make
UM assignment of instance numbers problematic. In addition, I can think
of two more potential difficulties with that approach. That's not to say
that these problems are insurmountable if we decide that we like having
UM assign the instance numbers, but we will have to work through them.

The first (additional) difficulty that I see is the added burden to put
on UM to come up with the numbers that don't violate any of the rules
that will probably apply (e.g., uniqueness across all instance of the FR
type within the Service Package). The mirror side of this is that CM
will probably have to validate against these rules, leading to potential
rejections of Service Package Requests that are otherwise valid.

The second "difficulty" is that more information will have to be exposed
in the Service Package Request in order for the instance numbers to be
properly associated with their instances. In SCCS-SM-B-1, we simply
reference the Space Communication Service Profile (SCSP), and that
inherently defines the structure of its component carriers, subcarriers,
symbol streams, etc. In order to allow UM to insert the appropriate
instance numbers, we would have to somehow expose these components in
the Request itself, which to some extent defeats the purpose of allowing
UM to simply refer to a Profile.

Note that whether UM or CM assigns the instance numbers, we already face
the need to expose more of the internal structure of the scheduled
Carrier Result objects of the Service Package Result, as described in
the issues section of my previous message (included below). However, in
the case of the Service Package Result, we already have the notion of
(potentially) providing much more detailed configuration information in
response to a Service Package Request with respecifications or returned
by a Query Service Package operation, so the conceptual leap is less.

Thinking about this again in the light of your proposal, I see the need
to identify the instances of subcomponents as a key challenge to
overcome, and it is something that I have been struggling with for
several years. At this point it might be useful to recap how we got here
- not to argue for returning to the previous approach, but to understand
it and how the current approach compares to/contrasts with it.

ISO approached this problem through the use of relative distinguished
names (RDNs)and distinguished names (DNs). Each "managed object" has
both an RDN and a DN: the RDN is the name of the instance of the object
itself, whereas the DN is the name of the instance of the object in its
containment relationship. The RDNs only have to be unique in the context
of the object within which they are immediately contained, so only the
DNs are globally unique. To use a functional resource (= managed object)
example, for the I-channel  symbol stream of the 5KHz subcarrier of the
S-Band return carrier, RDN  would be equivalent to (SymbolStream =  "I
channel") and the DN would be equivalent (ReturnSpaceLinkCarrier =
"S-Band 1", ReturnSubcarrier = 5000, SymbolStream = "I channel"). Note
that there can be multiple instances of a return I-channel symbol stream
in a service package, but only one I-channel for the 5000Hz of the
return carrier designated as "S-Band 1".

One thing that appealed to me about this approach is that the values of
the RDNs can be assigned by naming attributes that may already exist in
the CarrierProfile. If that's the case, then CM (or UM) doesn't have to
assign them on a Service Package by Service Package basis. E.g., in the
above example, the RDN of the Subcarrier could be its frequency and the
RDN of the Symbol Stream could be its I, Q, or single/BPSK designation,
both of which are already present in the corresponding subparts of the
Carrier Profiles. A side effect of the ISO naming approach is that it
always explicitly reveals the containment of the FR instance:
(ReturnSpaceLinkCarrier = "S-Band 1", ReturnSubcarrier = 5000,
SymbolStream = "I channel") explicitly names an I-channel symbol stream
carried by a subcarrier, whereas (ReturnSpaceLinkCarrier = "S-Band 1",
SymbolStream = "I channel") explicitly identifies a symbol stream that
is modulated onto the carrier itself.

My previous attempt at naming functional resources was based on the ISO
approach, although I used text names for the FR types instead of OIDs
(i.e., "ReturnSpaceLinkCarrier" instead of its equivalent OID). Frankly,
I don't think that I explained this approach very well, because I think
everyone except me was confused by it. Regardless of my ability to
explain the approach, the ISO approach admittedly leads to long FR IDs
in many cases.

Now let's compare the ISO approach to the one that are taking now in
CSS. The current approach effectively collapses all of the containment
into a single pair of FR type and instance number. E.g., [<Symbol Stream
type OID>:1] represents (ReturnSpaceLinkCarrier = "S-Band 1",
ReturnSubcarrier = 5000, SymbolStream - "I channel"). Since all of that
containment information is not carried in the instance number
(identifier) itself, it has to be somehow assigned to the instance
number associated with the FR "leaf" (in this case, the Symbol Stream FR
type). The approach that we are taking has the assignment of the
instances numbers for all FRs being made as part of the process of
creating the Service Package, by having either CM or UM making the
assignments. The containment that is inherent in the Service Package
itself is used to identify the containment of the FR that has the
instance number X, and thereafter any reference to the Xth instance of
that FR type (in the context of that Service Package) is known to apply
to the FR instance with that specific containment.

Since Darmstadt, I have tried to come up with a scheme that would
somehow not require us to explicitly assign instance numbers to every FR
instance, but I don't think that's possible given the nature of the FR
ID as we have currently defined it. Of course, I gladly welcome any
thoughts on how we might accomplish this, or otherwise simplify the FR
instance number assignment task.

Best regards,

John.