[Css-csts] RE: [Smwg] Background materials for discussion on functional resources and OIDs

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue May 1 16:19:59 EDT 2012

Erik,

You hit on exactly the reason why we decided that while the functional
resource types and parameter types could be defined as OIDs (and the
standard ones could be defined by CCSDS), the functional resource IDs
themselves would best be left to the Agencies, which could create the FR
instance IDs that suited the capabilities of each Agency's network(s).
If multiple concurrent space link carriers in the same frequency band
are possible, then that Agency could create appropriate IDs. For
example, NASA SN has two flavors of S-band service: "single access" (SA)
via a steerable antenna, and "multiple access" (MA) via the shared
phased array antenna. In the SN, each TDRS has two steerable antennas
and one MA antenna. So for the SN, NASA will have to be able to define
identifiers that can be used to differentiate between these two S-Band
possibilities (which indeed the SN does today with the service
designations "SMA" and "SSA").

NOTE - This example raises the question as to whether SMA and SSA (in
this example) are two flavors of the same functional resource type, or
functional resource types in their own right. At least for these
examples, I think that they can still be legitimately consider two
flavors of the same FR type. But in the future we might need/want to
entertain the notion of derived functional resource types that inherit
the parameters, events, and directives of their parent types.

Your follow-on message:

"Having read more carefully into the material provided it appears that
in this case the functional resource would be further identified by the
name of the carrierAgreementId - but that in fact is an agreement of a
range of values for subsequent carriers which in turn are identified by
carrierProfileId  - so it seems to me that that is the carrierProfileId
that is the data value that further identifies the functional resource
instance in this case."

is along the lines of what I have in mind, but it seems to me that using
the Carrier Profile (which specifies a single configuration of the
carrier parameters) to characterize the space link carrier functional
resource is too "narrow" - every mission would essentially create a new
functional resource ID every time it created a new carrier profile
within a space communication service profile. It is more dynamic than
what I believe the CSTSWG has in mind, which is some type of
more-statically defined "publishable" identifiers.

At the Portsmouth meeting I proposed an approach by which each agency
would define essentially what we are now calling functional resource IDs
and to add a parameter to "appropriate" component data sets of the
SpaceLinkCarrierAgreement to carry those FR IDs. Note that the notion
that I proposed in Portsmouth was not exactly the same as today's
more-refined concept of functional resource IDs, but the underlying idea
is the same. The SMWG actually tentatively adopted that approach at
Portsmouth, but by the time we discussed it again in London there were
concerns about adding semantics to the space link carrier agreements
that weren't there before. Toward the end of the London meeting, when we
met with Wolfgang to discuss his reaction to the service agreement
parameters, one of his concerns was a lack of concrete binding of
service agreement parameters to more-tangible entities. I recall noting
during that discussion that Wolfgang's concern was supportive of the
notion of linking functional resources to service agreement-level
entities.

In any case, I still think that somehow tying functional resource naming
into the service agreement-level entities is probably the better way to
go, although I need to develop some extensive examples and uses cases to
prove that out to myself and to everyone else. I've started to rework
that previous material to reflect the latest functional resource-related
concepts and to develop those examples . Unfortunately, that material
won't be ready for tomorrow's telecon, but I'm aiming for the end of
May.

Looking forward to discussing this more tomorrow.

John