[Css-csts] RE: Some feedback on recently addressed items

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 26 17:13:19 EST 2012

Tim wrote:
Regarding File Transfer use cases:  I have not identified any interest in a File Transfer service within NASA

Tim: we probably need to tease-apart what we mean by file transfer. I think that there is a general agreement that we need a standard CSTS mechanism for transferring files among ground users. This is the so-called "CFXS", which is assumed to be simply S-FTP along with (perhaps) some standardized metadata about the file that is being transferred.

For space/ground data transfer, there may be general  interest in a file transfer standard using CFDP. But only if Core CFDP is running over the DTN Bundle protocol (BP) to provide store-forward routing, and LTP to provide point-to-point retransmission. The Extended Procedures of CFDP (multi-hop custodial transfer and point-to-point retransmission) have thus been overcome by events and should not be propagated any further.

Best regards
Adrian