[Css-csts] functional resource types for Retrieval Service Package components?

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Jul 31 11:22:10 EDT 2012

SMWG and CSTSWG colleagues -

I'm in the process of walking through a detailed scenario involving the
scheduling and execution of a Service Package that has Monitored Data
and Service Control services. In particular, I'm looking at how the
functional resource types and associated parameters, events, and
directives that are monitored and controlled (respectively) are properly
correlated to the Service Package.

Until now, I think it's safe to say that we have all been thinking about
the Monitored Data and Service Control services as being associated with
Space Link Sessions. Does anyone envision monitoring or controlling
offline services (outside of the in-band capabilities provided by the
respective transfer services)? I personally cannot come up with a reason
to do so, especially since for SLE transfer services and CSTSes we have
essentially built in any monitoring that seems necessary.

If we do not see a need to monitor or control offline services, do we
need to define functional resource types corresponding to offline
service resources? The original purpose for defining functional resource
types was to provide a structure for naming monitored parameter values
and notified events (and then extended to cover directives); what, if
any, other purpose does a functional resource designation serve?

If you have an opinion on this I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.