[Css-csts] RE: [Smwg] mandatory vs. "as needed" nature of monitored parameters

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Dec 31 16:15:27 EST 2012

Carver,
The Cross Support Services Area needs to arrive at a consensus on whether the parameters, events, and (eventually) directives registered under the crossSupportFunctionalities branch will be mandatory for all implementations or just "standard" in the sense that if a Complex is capable of reporting a given parameter then that is the OID (and name, type, and units definition) that is to be used.

As I stated in my note (below), I believe that the consensus interpretation among those of us who have been working most closely with the Functional Resource concepts has been that the parameters, etc., are *not* mandatory on all implementations. However, that position was challenged at the Cleveland meeting, although we never did discuss it to a final conclusion (which is the reason that I sent my email on Friday). I propose that the prior consensus interpretation be affirmed. In terms of the registration tree, this would mean that a common parameter, event, or directive that is registered under the crossSupportFunctionalities branch be one that is to be used *if an Agency supports that  parameter (etc.)* but not mandatory if that Agency would not otherwise use that parameter.

To make this actionable, I request that anyone (in particular in the CSTSWG and CSSMWG) who has an opinion on this issue and would like to share it to please do so in an email to the membership of the CSTSWG and CSSMWG by 15 January. Depending on the responses, we can determine how to proceed after that.

SUPPORTING INFORMATION
The motivation for taking the position that the common parameters list not be mandatory was that if we *did* require that the registered parameters, event, and directives be mandatory, it would (a) take a lot longer for all Agencies to agree on that mandatory list and (b) the list would be only a minor subset of the parameters that Wolfgang Hell has catalogued. This is because while there are many parameters that many (even most) Agencies support, relatively few are supported by all Agencies. We preferred to take the approach of defining the greatest number of common parameters possible, so that if an Agency happens to support such a parameter, there would already be a standard specification for it. In this sense, "common" means "common to at least several CCSDS Agencies",  not " common to *all* CCSDS Agencies".
Note 1 - this approach is very similar to that taken in the SCCS-SM Service Specification, which defines 25 operations, only 3 of which are mandatory for an implementation to be minimally compliant with the standard).
Note 2 - this approach does not rule out eventually going further and mutually agreeing on a mandatory subset. What it is saying is that *for now* we are trying to just collect as many common (to several Agencies) parameters as possible.

Both the Cross Support Transfer Service Specification Framework (CSTS SFW) and the Monitored Data CSTS (MD-CSTS) Draft Recommended Standards are affected to varying degrees by how this issue is resolved. Both the CSTS SFW and MD-CSTS are planned to have Red Books issued this spring, ideally before the Bordeaux meeting, so resolution should be reached within the next month. These books are being written by the CSTSWG, so nominally it would be a CSTSWG decision to make. However, it will also affect Service Management, so the CSSMWG will also have to be part of the consensus.