[Css-csts] additional comments on Monitoring Data Service - Implementation Scenario

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Aug 21 10:01:36 EDT 2012

Yves,

In addition to the comments that I made in two previous emails, here are
a few more comments on your Implementation Scenario paper:

1.       In section 5.1, there is "default list:" directly above the
table that lists the instances of the Cyclic Report procedure. I believe
that this is a typo.

2.       Regarding the NOTE in section 5.2, I agree with you - I can
think of no reason to limit the number of GET operations that can be
invoked in parallel. (NOTE - I just looked at the specification for the
Info Query procedure again, and section 4.4.3.2 (Terminating) states
"upon receipt of a 'terminate procedures' event ... the procedure shall
terminate by releasing all pending GET operations without answering to
them." The notion of a pending GET operation is counter-intuitive to the
definition of a stateless procedure - i.e., it *does* have a state
(pending). If it were truly stateless, the GETs would be performed
instantaneously and there wouldn't be time to recognize the 'terminate
procedure' event. I won't try to solve that here but I do think that
there's a problem with this stateless formulation).

3.       In the GET Operation table in section 5.2.1, the ParameterId
for the Elevation error parameter should end in "8",  not "7".

4.       In section 5.1.2, the ASN.1 snippet has a typo that is also in
the original CSTS SF ASN.1: "paramter".

I am in the process of writing a technical note that addresses how
functional resources are used by service management as well as how they
are used in the MD-CSTS during the execution of the Service Package. I
am basing a good bit of that technical note on the material from your
Implementation Scenario, with modifications to address the issues that I
have raised regarding the Implementation Scenario. I hope to have the
technical note finished and sent to the members of the SMWG and CSTSWG
by the end of this week.