[Css-csts] Action Item #06-1010F and CSTSFW Red-1 RID NASA-JVP-47

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Fri Mar 25 16:10:14 EST 2011

CSTSWG colleagues --

I was assigned action item #06-1010F: "Forward Frame Service: JP will
assess the possibility of making the PROCESS-DATA simpler." This also
corresponds to the intermediate disposition of Red-1 RID NASA-JVP-47,
"John to look into a simplified PROCESS-DATA operation and [its] impact
on the Data Processing procedure."

Both the RID and the action item resulted from a technical note that I
produced on the feasibility of defining a new IOAG Service Catalog
Forward Frames service using the operation and procedures in the Red-1
CSTS Framework. One of my findings was that the PROCESS-DATA operation
and Data Processing procedure were too closely aligned with the
Telecommand approach to commanding, and were overly constraining for use
with synchronous forward links (such as AOS). I had proposed several
possibly remedies, which were discussed by the CSTSWG at the London 2010
meeting. The CSTSWG selected one of these proposed remedies, to simplify
the base PROCESS-DATA operation, as the one to investigate further. This
note describes the results of that investigation.

The approach taken was to simplify the PROCESS-DATA operation to the
degree that it would be useful for any procedure that needs an operation
that transfers data from the service user to the service provider in a
confirmed manner. The Telecommand-focused parameters and behavior that
were removed from the base PROCESS-DATA operation were then added as
derived parameters and behavior to the PROCESS-DATA operation of the
Data Processing procedure. The net effect is that any service that uses
the Data Processing procedure gets essentially the same functionality as
using the Red-1 version. The advantage, of course, is that the
simplified base PROCESS-DATA operation can also be used to construct
other procedures that are not constrained to the Telecommand mode of
operation (such as one for synchronous forward link data units such as
AOS frames and CADUs).  As a "proof of concept" I modified the pertinent
sections of the post-Red-1 CSTSFW draft "921x1r2[Draft 201012].doc" to
create a marked-up version,
"921x1r2-SimplePROCESS-DATA[Draft 2011-03-25].doc", hereinafter referred
to as the "simplified draft FW".  I have posted this marked-up copy to
the CWE in a zipped folder at URL

http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/CSTS%20Framework%20
and%20Concept/SimplifiedPROCESS-DATA_pkg.zip

or http://tinyurl.com/simplifiedPROCESS-DATA

In addition to addressing the PROCESS-DATA simplification question, I
have also addressed other issues that I encountered in the process of
performing this analysis. Some of the suggested changes are hard
technical facts, while others are suggestions that hopefully make the
document more readable and easier to understand. The proposed changes
are also documented in the technical note and included in the full
markup and the clean and compare PDFs.

The zipped folder also contains: a technical note identifying the
changes made and the supporting rationale; a "clean" PDF of the sections
that are affected by the changes (PROCESS-DATA operation, Data
Processing procedure, Notification procedure, and sections D.3, D.5, and
D.11 of annex D); and a "compare" PDF of the changed sections with
respect to the 921x1r2[Draft 201012].doc version of the FW.

I look forward to discussing these changes with you, before or at the
Berlin meeting.