[Css-csts] Updated strawman Forward Frame CSTS on CWE

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Fri Jul 29 13:50:57 EDT 2011

CSTSWG colleagues ---

At the Berlin meeting in May, I presented a proposal to simplify the
PROCESS-DATA operation in such a way as to allow it to be used for a
broader range of services and specifically so that it could be used for
transfer of synchronous forward link data units. The proposal also
included moving the functionality that was removed from the PROCESS-DATA
operation to the Data Processing procedure, such that the Data
Processing procedure ends up with the same functionality that the Red-1
version has.

One of the criticisms of the proposal was that there was no extended
example for how the simplified PROCESS-DATA operation and Data
Processing procedure would be used. I have therefore reworked the
strawman specification for the Forward Frame CSTS that originally
presented at the London meeting to use the simplified operation and
procedure, and to take advantage of the decision (at the London meeting)
to allow a managed selection from multiple possible procedure types to
be used for the prime procedure instance on a
service-instance-by-service-instance basis. In updating the strawman
specification, I fleshed out a number of details to illustrate my
understanding of how, for example, the specification of extension
parameters would be defined in the text and the ASN.1 annexes of the
specification.  The resulting document has been uploaded to the CWE at

http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/Future%20Services%2
0using%20Toolkit/Forward%20Frame%20CSTS/ForwardFrameService-R1-2011-0728
.doc

In the process of updating the strawman FF specification, I discovered a
number of errors (cut-and-paste, typos, etc.) in the proposed rewrites
of the PROCESS-DATA operation and Data Processing procedure and their
respective representations in the ASN.1. I created an updated (Rev1)
version of the simplified PROCESS-DATA  version of the CSTSFW. The Rev1
version also includes several  global changes to the CSTSFW that were
agreed at the Berlin meeting (such as the new terminology for signaling
terminations among the Association Control and other procedures), but
there is no guarantee that the revision reflects all such changes (since
I was not in the meeting the whole week). Finally, the revised version
reflects comments that were made about the proposal itself at the Berlin
meeting. The revised version can be found on the CWE at

http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/CSTS%20Framework%20
and%20Concept/921x1r2-SimplePROCESS-DATA_Rev1-pkg.zip

This is a zip file containing two document and a READ-ME. The file
"921x1r2-SimplePROCESS-DATA_Rev1.doc" contains the complete December
2010 Red-2 draft from Yves, with the PROCESS-DATA operation (3.10), Data
Processing procedure (4.9), Common Operations PDUs (D2.5) and Procedure
- Data Processing PDUs (D2.11) sections modified to support the
simplified PROCESS-DATA proposal. This Word document retains all markups
showing the changes from the December 2010 version. The file
"921xr2-SimplePROCESS-DATA_Rev1_sections.pdf" contains clean versions of
only those 4 sections (see above) that were changed for the simplified
DAYA-PROCESS proposal. The only markup that has been retained are
comments pointing out significant changes with respect to the December
version, or comments that highlight issues that were raised during the
process of developing the proposal.

As I understand what happened in the CESG at the conclusion of the
Berlin meeting, the CSTSWG was directed to evaluate the additional
effort of keeping the PROCESS-DATA operation and Data Processing
procedure in the CSTSFW and bringing them to maturity. Although I  can't
guarantee that the proposed simplified versions of the PROCESS-DATA
operation and Data Processing procedure cover all possible future
forward-direction CSTSes, I do believe that they are closer to that goal
than the existing versions.