[Css-csts] FW: Managed selection of prime procedure type

Martin Götzelmann martin.goetzelmann at vega.de
Tue Feb 8 09:50:40 EST 2011

Dear John,

I do not really see how the approach you are proposing can be implemented without changing the FW. The general approach specified there is
- all procedure instances that can be activated by the user must be specified in advance;
- conceptually the procedure instances are all created at the time the service instance is bound
- procedures are always identified by procedure type and number and the provider is required to check both the type and the number is a user request to verify that it relates to an existing procedure and that this procedure is in the state expected by the other side.

I always had a vague feeling of uneasiness with these specifications because I felt that the approach was rather static, but that is what has been agreed and there have been good reasons to do so.

To implement your proposal I think that as a minimum the check on the procedure instance number must be handled differently than in the current version of the FW. Beside that, I am afraid that there might be a number of issues related to such a change, which we currently do not yet fully understand. Taking your example: if all procedures have already been created and the user invokes START with no number, which one should the provider pick? If he picks #1 and the user subsequently invokes START with the number 1 is that an error? I assume that all could possibly work if all procedure instances were identical but I believe nothing in FW currently prevents a Service from using pre-configured instances, which would make them distinguishable. To implement your proposal, we might have to insist that all procedure instances are identical. But if all procedure instances of the same type are identical, why do we create them at the time of binding and not let the user "create" them with the first invoked operation? If we would create a procedure instance with the first invocation, then what would the state machine look like? etc.

If my memory serves me well, the main reason to have two potential prime procedure instances was that development of two different CSTSes to support a synchronous and a asynchronous forward frame services was considered politically unacceptable. On the meeting everybody seemed to say that these two options would never be used simultaneously for any mission. If that is true, I think the selected solution is appropriate and I would suggest not to introduce more complexity by trying to add more flexibility.

Kind Regards,
Martin