[Css-csts] RE: Impacts on MD-CSTS (was RE: please help)

Ray, Timothy J. (GSFC-5830) timothy.j.ray at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 12 17:56:16 EST 2011

That sounds good.  Thanks John!

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: John Pietras [mailto:john.pietras at gst.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 4:22 PM
To: Ray, Timothy J. (GSFC-5830)
Cc: css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: Impacts on MD-CSTS (was RE: please help)

Tim,
I've made a pass through the draft Monitored Data CSTS to see what changes would result from the latest round of updates to the CSTS Framework. In summary, since the MD service is constructed of procedures that are all adopted from the Framework, once those updated procedures are implemented in the prototype there should be no additional changes required at the service level. Remember that it's not just the Information Query, Cyclic Report, and Notification procedures that have been updated (in the Framework) since the spring, but also Association Control (AC), the interactions between the AC procedure and the other procedures, and the service state machine.

Here's a section-by-section overview of the changes that will have to be made to the MD-CSTS specification before it is ready to be released for Red Book review:

Section 1 	The only changes that I can see is that since the notions of functional resource identifier, functional resource instance, and functional resource type are being adopted as part of the Framework, their definitions would move from "Terms Defined in this Specification" to "Terms Defined in the CSTS FW". Also, references will need to be updated.

Section 2	A fair amount of work would have to go here to realign the terminology. It will need to reflect whatever decisions we make about the issue that I raised in my email yesterday regarding what is actually published by the service provider and what is subscribed to by the service user, how that relates to how the monitored parameters and notifiable events are defined and assigned OIDs, and how list names are also formed and used.

Section 3	This section is normative, but since all of the procedures are adopted from the Framework and not derived, there is no change to the specification of the procedures. The State Machine subsection needs to refer to the "state machine for a CSTS with a stateful prime procedure" instead of "state machine for a CSTS with a started prime procedure".

Section 4	This section includes the specification of what constitutes the names that are to be published by the service provider and subscribed to by the user. In particular, it needs to distinguish between the published names (which are pairs of object identifiers) and the individual object identifiers.

Annex A	This annex specifies the service Object Identifiers, and is not affected by the recent changes.