[Css-csts] RE: comments on the strawman F-Frame service spec

Barkley, Erik J (317H) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 29 19:40:29 EDT 2010

John, Ed,

Re Throw-event:

It seems to me we need to consider this from more of a general cross-support perspective.  I tend to think that there are some trades that should be considered/executed.

On the one hand we have the notion of each transfer service having a throw event.  If the forward service  is stopped (unplanned) via a throw-event and the spacecraft uses coherent communications (which is common), then, 1 RTLT later as observed at the tracking station, the spacecraft will transition from 2-way to 1-way communications mode which implies an (uplanned) adjustment to all return services based on the return carrier(s) (that were generated in reference to the forward carrier).  So with this model the service user is having to orchestrate all of the throw Events to ensure they have a coherent set of services. Of course there's the small issue of the return transfer services do not have throw events. It also has implications of needing a forward service no matter what to implement control functions even though the service may be return/downlink only.  And I think it also gets to be a bit difficult if there are multiple transfer service instances operating off the same carrier that need to have multiple throw events to keep a collection of transfer services operating in a more or less synchronized fashion.

A different model is to have the CSTS control service as John indicated below.   There is then the further work  required to determine what the vocabulary of the control directives/requests is but in general it seems to me that it should more or less, the extent possible, be expressed in the same vocabulary as that used to indicate a sequence of events.

Another model may be that there is some sort of mix of these types of approaches (which I think John has also hinted at) whereby the throw Events are restricted in scope to directives/requests local to the particular protocol/transfer service instance (for example buffering limits) and a control service that is more global in nature affecting the overall package of services that are currently in operation (for example, switching to a contingency scenario to compensate for lack of main engine ignition).

I would like to suggest that perhaps these options be considered (and there maybe others as well?)  before we decide whether or not throw events should be in the forward frame specification.

-Erik