[Css-csts] Notification and Information Query procedures in the TD-CSTS

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Thu Feb 18 11:54:44 EST 2010

CSTSWG colleagues and David ---

At the Noordwijk meeting, the question was raised whether the TD-CSTS
should include an Information Query and/or Notification procedure, in
addition to the existing Association Control and Buffered Data Delivery
procedures. After considering the question, I don't believe that it is
necessary to do so, for reasons that I explain in this email.

In general, CSTSes will often include a Notification procedure to inform
the service user about changes in the status of the service or the
quality of the data being transferred. However, in the cases of the
TD-CSTS, this type of information is already carried in the TDM
metadata, and any events not already defined in the TDM set of metadata
could be carried in COMMENTs in the metadata and data portions of the
TDM. I think that including notifications in the TDM itself is superior
to a separate Notification procedure because the notifications are then
automatically "archived" as part of the TDM. To the extent that there is
a desire to define TD-CSTS-standard notifications beyond those already
in the TDM metadata, I suggest that we defined standard COMMENTs (which
is supported by the TDM specification).

Note that in regard to notifications, the Buffered Data Delivery (BDD)
procedure already contains a NOTIFY operation that (as currently
specified in the Framework) indicates the following events:

-          'production configured' - configuration of the production
process has been completed:

-          'production operational' - the production process is ready to
process data and production-status has changed to 'operational'
(basically, the various resources are generating tracking data
measurements);

-          'production interrupted' - the production process has been
stopped due to a condition that may be temporary;

-          'production halted' - the production process has been stopped
by management action;

-          'data discarded due to excessive backlog' - some data have
been discarded either because of timeliness considerations (in real-time
mode) or because of recorded buffer overflow (in complete mode); and

-          'end of data' - the Service Provider has no more data to
send.

This is my opinion, of course - I welcome identification of any events
that should be notified but that is not already covered by TDM metadata
or cannot be treated as TDM comments.

I think the same logic applies to the Information Query procedure - any
information of interest can be captured in the existing TDM metadata or
additional COMMENTs. Again, I welcome identification of any tracking
service-related parameters that a TD-CSTS user might want to query that
would not normally be available from the TDM metadata or additional
COMMENTs.

Unless and until someone can identify a need for a Notification or
Information Query procedure, I will not plan to include either procedure
in the TD-CSTS.

John Pietras

GST, Inc.

7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200