[Css-csts] Normative or informative references to the Guidelines?

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Wed Feb 17 02:34:58 EST 2010

Dear John,

I agree with you, the Guidelines have to be read to fully understand how to
specify a new service. In addition the specifications for a new service
follows the statements in the Guidelines. The reference to the Guidelines
should be normative.

Best regards
Yves

             "John Pietras"
             <john.pietras at gst.
             com>                                                         To
             Sent by:                   <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] Normative or informative
             16/02/2010 23:14           references to the Guidelines?

CSTSWG colleagues ---
At the Noordwijk meeting, a question arose regarding whether the Guidelines
should be referenced normatively or informatively in CSTS specifications that
follow those Guidelines. I have not recorded in my notes that any firm
decision was made, but in my notes for the TD-CSTS draft I have the comment
“Clarify whether this has to be normative or informative” attached to the
statement “Table 3-1 identifies the procedures of the Tracking Data CSTS. The
rows of table 3-1 are defined in … [<reference number of the Guidelines]” in
section 3.2 (Procedures of the Tracking Data Cross Support Transfer Service).

I believe that this reference is normative, and therefore the Guidelines
citation should be in the normative references in section 1. My reasoning is
that one must read the Guidelines in order to interpret the component
procedures table of a CSTS specification; e.g, the difference between “1..1”
and “1..*” in the “Nb. of Instances” row, or the relationship between the
Version row and the Source row. In effect, this reference is calling in the
Guidelines to expand the shorthand notation found in the table into
specification statements (e.g., “1..1” is translated into “One and only one
instance of this procedure shall be present in an instance of this CSTS”.

This is the interpretation that I have used in the most recent draft of the
Monitored Data CSTS, and I am currently updating the TD-CSTS book in this
way.

I look forward to your comments on this topic.

John Pietras
GST, Inc.
7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200
Greenbelt, MD 20770