[Css-csts] Re: inaccurate references to FTCF SLE service in FSP specification

Shames, Peter M (313B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 21 18:20:44 EST 2009

Dear CSTSWG Colleagues,

I hate to be the Grinch this Xmas, but after reading through these docs I feel quite strongly that the identified inconsistencies and inadequacies in SLE-FSP, SLE-FCLTU (and potentially even SLE-RM) ought to be remedied.  The CCSDS five year review of documents is exactly the time when such issues should be addressed.   In particular, the references to this mythical FTCF service, and the lack of specificity about what is intended to occur between the input to one or more FSP service instances (with one or more inputs, according to the FSP spec) and the input to the FCLTU service seems like a serious oversight.  Even if the result of this added specificity results in some “all-in’one” implementation at the ground station, as John has suggested, I am left with the following questions:

 *   Does this FSP service (however it is implemented) support packet streams from more than one user?
 *   Does it support merging of packets from multiple instances of the FSP service?
 *   How are priorities handled between packets streams and different users?
 *   How is separating data into different virtual channels handled?
 *   Does this handle merging of both SPP and Encapsulation packets?

I am sure that there are more questions left unresolved, but these alone strike me as big enough to warrant further attention in the text of one or more of these documents.

Thanks, Peter