[Css-csts] data parameter extenison type - Extended or EMBEDDED PDV?

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Dec 1 12:27:41 EST 2009

CSTSWG colleagues ---

In working with the Guidelines for extending the data parameter of the
TRANSFER-DATA and PROCESS-DATA operations, I realized that by casting
the extendedData choice of the data parameter to be of type Extended, it
is possible to give the data parameter a NULL value through the notUsed
choice. I don't think that we ever intended for any service to use the
TRANSFER-DATA or PROCESS-DATA to be defined in such a way that no data
is actually transferred. In all cases, the data parameter must have
content, although it might be opaque (via the opaqueString choice).

I think the proper approach would be to define the extendedData choice
to be directly of type EMBEDDED PDV. That would eliminate the
possibility of it taking on a NULL value. If we agree that this is the
proper definition, should we try to get the change into the upcoming Red
Book?

John Pietras

GST, Inc.

7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200